Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 28, 2011, 5:42 PM   #11

Maybe a photographic history is called for, before it's too late? Not just of the one settlement, but of the whole class of similar settlements.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 6:02 PM   #12

I have been thinking about that for the last year..maybe it's time to act on it.Yesterday I was going to show a friend an old church and bell tower in that area that i remembered from years ago..way up in the bush..got there and the land was cleared..everything gone except the gravestones.Luckily I have some photos of it I took a long time ago.
kashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2011, 8:07 PM   #13

It is sad to see the old... fall into disuse, then disrepair, then finally disappear.

In the late 50's and early 60's, I recall going, with my parents to Minnesota every Friday, during the summer to go camping at a state park.

We would leave Friday evening and drive through southern Manitoba, cross the border (no passports in those more innocent times) and drive through Northern Minnesota....until we arrived at the campground.

In those days....in both countries there were plenty of small family farms and little service towns that provided farmers with everything they needed from banking services, food, hardware, seed, schools, post offices, churches and on Friday nights....entertainment at the local movie theatre, bar or restaurant or diner.

These towns and farming areas were alive, thriving , full of human activity...all days....but on Friday and Saturday evenings, farming families would come to town to unwind.

In the 90's I took my own family through this route, that I had so many pleasant memories.

We left Friday evening, had our trailer hooked up to our Van and drove to the American campground of my childhood.

What a difference.

In both countries it was the same. Towns were still there, but many buildings were boarded up, there was little evening activity ....many towns were dying, having lost postal services, small schools, stores, banking services...a lot of the churches had closed down...train stations were no more as only freight (no passenger anymore) trains pass through and don't stop.

I think the reason was the demise of the small family farms....large farms have taken over and need fewer people to run them...farms...now.... have to be, ultra competitive, specialized and be able to run with more emphasis on machinery then people.

Consequently the small service towns and all the attendant services, churches, schools, stores no longer have the numbers of people they need...in order to function.

Sad, but reality I guess.

BTW...I know it's a cliche....but as I was driving through this Canadian- American route....I did think, that you can't go home again...it has changed...irreversibly, I'm afraid.

I think it is wise as Kashka and other posters have done is to record these fast passing memories before they disappear.

Great pix Kashka and I know I think that will be one of my ongoing projects to record the old way of life, as represented in some of these deteriorating, but still grand old buildings.

Last edited by lesmore49; Apr 28, 2011 at 8:12 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2011, 9:48 PM   #14

It's interesting that much the same thing has happened to the English countryside, though on a much longer timescale. The truly rural population (as opposed to commuting) now is pretty small, whereas before the industrial revolution it represented perhaps the bulk of the population. You have a real microcosm of what has happened all over the place, and with today's technology you can create a photographic record that would be fascinating in a few year's time, perhaps to your children or especially to their children.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 5:24 AM   #15

A sad story indeed, and one repeated in many regions of our earth. Sure do hope you will continue to preserve images of this story in your fine photos.

PS - have you made any audio recordings of family memories from these same distrcts? Oral history is another treasure that is fading rapidly...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2011, 6:43 AM   #16

Lens,your story sounds the same as what is happening here..I suppose some say that is the natural progression of history and I suppose because we see it on our lifetimes it seems so much more dramatic..but it doesn't make it any less sad.I am glad to see you have the same idea of preserving some memories as I do..I just wished I would have started earlier in my life and could have recorded these while they were in use.
Peter..I think we are lucky now with the technology now that people can still preserve these memories..if more people do it,more can be shown to future generations..
Mole..that is a good idea..I don't have audio recordings but in the late 70's and early 80's there was a wave of remembering the history in the area and there were many projects of photographs,historical cairns and district history books of many of the districts so luckily not all is lost.I will definitely continue taking photographs as long as I can..fortunately I am working in the area for the next month or so and I am not known to take the main route to and from work, so I will be taking many photos..
kashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2011, 11:40 PM   #17

Sad and well said series

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote