Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 27, 2011, 7:58 AM   #1

Default A generation dies and so do the churches (part 1)

Yesterday while driving to work I took some backroading..thru an old early Ukranian settlement area.I usually take this route as there are many old abandoned farms with sod houses and barns.Not being thru the area for a long time I was sad to see how the churches are also now a victim of this abandonment.Another couple years and they will fall down..the land cleared for farming and they will just be memories.These are three of dozens in the area..the last building being a hall..which I remember had a stage and a colourful backdrop on it.
I am trying out my new K-r..and am struggling with getting sharp focus so please forgive the softness...
Attached Images

kashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2011, 8:01 AM   #2

More..
Attached Images

Old Apr 27, 2011, 8:03 AM   #3

last ones..
Attached Images

Old Apr 27, 2011, 8:07 AM   #4

Good series, sad statement.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2011, 2:09 PM   #5

I love things like this, makes you think what sort of happy and sad memories were created in them, and how these places must have been places of great pride in their day, and now most people see them as an eyesore.
Tamron Adaptall 2 - 28mm, 28-80mm, 500mm Mirror
Pentax KAF - 18-55mm WR, 28-105mm PowerZoom
Pentax K - 50mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 28mm f/2.2
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2011, 11:09 PM   #6

It is sad to see those areas abandoned for a different lifestyle. Sometimes I wonder if everything modern is always a good thing - as others mentioned, so many people who lived and loved in that area, lost memories and lost history.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2011, 11:32 PM   #7

What's the story behind that settlement?
Old Apr 28, 2011, 7:40 AM   #8

Thanks for looking...I know it's kind of sad..when I drive by all these buildings and farms I always think of the pioneers who came there from the old country..got a piece of bush and began creating a strong proud community with their bare hands.I think of the memories each of the abandoned farms must have..of the hard work...the children born and raised in the small houses and how proud the immigrants were of their little piece of the world which they could finally call their own.I guess I am a little biased because my greatgrandparents(my great-grandma (Bonica) was smuggled across the ocean in a trunk..lol) were one of these settlers and I remember going to these little churches and halls when I was a kid.They were the center and highlight of social interaction way back then.And even up to 15-20 years ago some of these places were still in use by the dwindling numbers of remaining pioneers and their children.But people move away unto bigger and better things and no-one is left to carry on...hence these falling down memories.
Peter here is a link to a short bit about the area.Dauphin is one of many settlements in Manitoba so the province has many of these areas peppered with falling down memories of the past.
http://www.museevirtuel-virtualmuseu...hinCode=guman3
Old Apr 28, 2011, 12:03 PM   #9

Why do these communities die? Especially nowadays with the internet isn't there any way they could be kept alive?

I suppose the pragmatic answer is that if that could have happened it would have happened.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 6:16 PM   #10

Peter..they weren't really towns ..more like districts..closer to the towns.But the towns are really dying out,too..because of many factors.I think the biggest one is the govt's decision to bypass the towns so traffic didn't have slow down on the highways.This of course killed the businesses..so people started going to bigger centers..then of course the small stores still left couldn't compete price wise as your walmarts,superstores so people bought elsewhere..No businesses..no reason for the kids to hang around after school so they head to the cities for university,college and work.So most towns just have the older people left and when they pass on..no one is hardly left.Banks pull out as well as other businesses.I remember all the towns had cafes,hardware stores,grocery stores..now your lucky in some to find a building on main street.The removal of the grain elevators and railways were other nails in the coffin as there was a very strong agricultural community in the province.It's sad, really...