Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 28, 2011, 10:26 PM   #1

Default First Reddy now Whitey

Got a visit today from a "new" squirrel - an Eastern Gray (also introduced) for the first time. Not Pentax, but I needed the reach of the 500 AF mirror - she (?) was very skittish and I couldn't get close - it took the whole day to get these, as it took that long for her to get up enough nerve to get up on the bench and stay there long enough to get photographed in the fading evening light.

Name:  DSC00202r.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  119.6 KB

Last edited by penolta; May 1, 2011 at 4:49 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2011, 10:40 PM   #2

How do these non-native squirrels get introduced? Especially since squirrels are sort-of pests and many would love to run them off altogether.

She looks different than the grey tree squirrels that are common around here. Ours are bigger/fatter, tails are bushier and they don't have brown on them, though their darker fur is grey like this. I've always thought they were native to the area, but your comment makes me wonder.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2011, 10:53 PM   #3

Harriet, your squirrels are Western Grays, a different species, that is indigenous to the mountains, but does not venture into "civilization." Squirrels were introduced by Easterners who moved west and wanted them for familiarity or perhaps for hunting. There are no native squirrels in the LA basin. Eastern Grays are known to be in the Bay Area, but are not officially recorded for Southern California. I have seen them for years in Huntington Central Park, but nobody ("official") believed me. Now I have the proof!
Old Apr 28, 2011, 11:58 PM   #4

Thanks for the information, I wondered about the squirrel population and why ours up here were so different than those I see around work. No one around here feeds the squirrels, though they help themselves to bird seed (if there are fewer squirrels hanging around the houses there will be less reason for coyotes to hang around). They are skittish and hard to photograph.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2011, 6:17 AM   #5

Very nice photos, and even better information. It sure is amazing how wel humans love to "tinker" with the balance of nature!

As Aldo Leopold said - "The first step in intelligent tinkering is to save the pieces."
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2011, 4:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Very nice photos, and even better information. It sure is amazing how wel humans love to "tinker" with the balance of nature!
Thanks Mole. English colonists were particularly bad in that respect, establishing Acclimatization Societies wherever they went, introducing familiar reminders of home.

Two of the photos looked OK on my malfunctioning desktop, but were overprocessed and looked bad on my portable, so I removed them.

Last edited by penolta; May 1, 2011 at 5:25 PM.