Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 29, 2011, 9:22 AM   #11

Congrats on the K20 - it is a fine camera and you are off to a good start. I leave mine on the defaults and adjust sharpness, brightness, and contrast as needed in PSE. Frequently I use the shadow/highlight area control. If noisy, rather than use the remove noise filter, I prefer the despeckle filter as there is less loss of sharpness.

That millipede is something else - I have never seen one that spectacularly colored. That and the snake shots are the best of the bunch IMO, followed by the last three. None of them are less than good to very good. The flowers are a bit soft, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. I don''t think you could take a bad picture even if you wanted to! You will do well with this camera.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2011, 12:23 PM   #12

Lovely shots again. That last one of the Dragonfly is striking...I've never seen one which such beautiful wings. What kind is it ?

I didn't see this thread till after your other thread about the impending demise of your about to be late and certainly lamented KM.

I inquired about your plans for the KM replacement...you have made a wise choice with the K20D. Robust, weather resistant and feature packed. I think you will be happy.

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2011, 12:30 PM   #13

Looks like you are handling it well, You are doing a great job so far, Nice shots

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2011, 2:07 PM   #14

I need to see these pictures on my home computer - the monitor here at work isn't very good. But even so, those pictures do seem to be awesome. Love the snake with the tongue out!

As far as bright colors go, I'm like Penolta - I like to use pp for enhancing things. However, you can do quite a bit in-camera with the K20. Are you shooting raw or jpg? I don't know what the KM's default settings are - sometimes Pentax puts their "Bright" settings as default and perhaps the KM came set to that. The K20 comes with "natural" as being the default - the colors are less saturated and there's less sharpening. It's easy to change it to bright and there's a vivid mode but I thought that was over-the-top, try it and see what you think. In any case, this only makes a difference if you are shooting jpg - the various shooting modes don't affect raw files. When I first got the K20 I would often shoot raw+jpg, just to compare and to see which color option I liked better.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2011, 4:38 PM   #15

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Mole, I can't seem to tell much of a difference between your images with the K-R (outstanding as always) and the K20D. I offer this as a supreme complement and empirical evidence that the gear does not make the photograph!

I enjoyed using the K20D. The grip balanced out the body nicely but did add weight with the extra battery.
I am sure you will continue to astound us with your images.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2011, 6:11 PM   #16

I must agree that your images are as amazing as always. The K20D will take a little adjusting to get things as you like them but, as I have found since I replaced my K10D with a K20D, it is an awesome camera which will give you more options for the great shots you consistently produce.

I actually preferred the look of images from my old *istDL over my K10D but not so with the K20D, in fact the DL is getting so little use I think I may sell it. My wife Annette has a K100D Super so we have a backup. Haven't decided yet, I will probably keep it as a sentimental piece since it was the camera that started me on this Pentax DSLR road after decades with K1000 and ME Super film cameras.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Apr 29, 2011, 10:28 PM   #17

Now that I'm home, I think I see a difference - there's more detail in these than with the KX. It's not a huge difference, but I can see it. I very much like the butterflies, they really shine when seeing them on a better monitor. I loved the K20, it was a huge improvement over the K10 I had. While I don't regret selling it (like I occasionally did with the DS), I'll always be a bit sentimental about it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2011, 11:56 PM   #18

A beautiful series choc full of cracking shots !

Having just come from your 'Last Shots with the Km' thread I do see a difference - these are more muted in contrast to those from the Km. I believe this could be the default setting as Harriet mentioned above. If you don't have much time for processing (and as you spend so much time outdoors maybe you don't) then I'd use a different default (set up your own or use one of those provided) and maybe just use RAW for those occasions when you want the higher DR (landscape shots for example).

I'll remember to resist eating that millipede if I ever come across it

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2011, 5:11 PM   #19

Congratulations on getting the K20D. Just sorry that you had to acquire it this way. I've had mine for almost 2 years coming from a K100D. My oldest son "borrowed" the K100D, and I haven't seen it since. I really enjoyed this series of pictures, especially the centipede. A good friend of mine is shooting in the Smokies this week. He is staying in Townsend. I'm not familiar with the location.
tsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2011, 11:49 PM   #20

Well I can see you will fall in love with your K20D, just like me.
All good shots , love the 2nd Garter Snake

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote