Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 10, 2011, 5:52 AM   #11

Congratulations on a fine new lens - looks like you are already mastering it! It should continue to produce some great photos in your talented hands.

PS - if you decide you are tired of the 35mm macro now, just let me know...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 1:58 PM   #12

I love the 31 1.8 but I had to adjust mine to +10 before it suited me. That much adjustment scares me considering the cost of the lens.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pastorbbc/
Old May 11, 2011, 2:20 PM   #13

Mole - I still haven't decided about whether I'll keep the 35 macro or not. In many ways I don't need it, but it's still nice to have its field of view. If I ever get a weather sealed lens like the 16-50 I know I'd sell the 35 macro, but until then, I don't know.

Pastorbbc - mine didn't need that much adjustment, I think I only used +4 or 5. From my own experience, lenses don't change - once you dial it in correctly it will stay that way. I don't think you have anything to worry about, as long as +1- works for you. And you are right, the lens sure isn't cheap!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 4:38 PM   #14

Hi Harriet,

Congrats on the 31 LTD !!!!! With that one, I think you have the very best of Pentax's lineup from the last 10 or 15 years. Pretty impressive collection that you've gathered, with the DA 12-24, DA* 50-135, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Macro Ltd, FA 77 Ltd, DA* 200, and DA*300 Plus the A* 300/4 IIRC.

I've always wanted that lens, even though I'd never use it enough to justify the cost. Same with all the other Ltds for me, so I don't have any. still the 31 and 77 continue to call to me. . . I'm sure you'll find lots of ways to take advantage of it's unique qualities. You're a much better generalist photographer than I, and you have the interest to experiment with a wide range of genres and the imagination to find ways to explore them and have fun doing it.

Looks like you've made a good start with the 31. More pixie dust will surely follow. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 10:27 PM   #15

Thanks, Scott.

I'm very happy with my current lens line-up, except for a couple of holes. I'd like a weather sealed lens in the wide-angle/normal range, either the DA*16-50 or if Sigma comes out with a weather sealed lens in a similar focal range. Also, my dismal pictures of the bald eagles point out that I really could use something longer than 300 (but I have doubts about my capability to handle anything longer than 300). I'm not in a position to buy anything else anytime soon, so my indecision on both of these issues isn't a big deal. I'll just keep thinking about them for another year or two while I enjoy my current lenses.

One of the reasons why I love photography so much is that when I get bored with one type of thing, I can try something entirely different. I'm always learning new things, trying to master new types of photography. There's a couple of ideas I've had recently but haven't had the opportunity to actually carry them out. Too bad work gets in the way of my hobby!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote