Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 16, 2011, 9:05 PM   #11
daz

I donít know if the weather is going to cooperate this month and as the host has opened the time for this months challenge to 1 year I am posting from my archive. If I have a chance I will try to do better but for now here it is.

I was out testing a new lens but the night was so clear I decided to pull out an old friend and have some fun. I used my M 50mm 1.7. Is it a little to long to get the entire city so I just pick part of it and took the photo. The problem was I could not decide what part I liked. So I just picked a part then swung the tripod and took a second photo thinking I would pick the one I liked best off the computer.

Back at the computer I had both photos up swapping back and forth between the 2. As I clicked the 2 it suddenly dawned to me that the 2 photos matched up perfectly. One quick stitch and I had the photo I wanted at a higher resolution then the makers of my old lens could have dreamed the lens could ever do.

DAZ

Attached Images

Painting is an additive art. The artist adds to the canvas until they stop with their version of reality. Digital photography is subtractive art. First we throw away 90 percent of reality then remove what is left bit by bit until we have only the reality we wish to show. Flickr is like fun. PPG is like work. A camera is a machine of light and time with the purpose of capturing a luminous moment. Like the eye it is a tool of the mind.
daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011, 1:26 AM   #12

Beautiful picture. Outstanding.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 10:52 AM   #13

Las Vegas
Attached Images

FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old May 18, 2011, 7:10 PM   #14

Interesting shots so far. Daz - that shot is awesome. Ira, what a contrast compared to Tuktoyaktuk. Looks like the traffic along the Strip was it's usual traffic jam - I usually try to avoid driving it if at all possible.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2011, 6:17 PM   #15

Here's mine for right now. I may change it later if I take something else that's better. But for now, here's a picture of New York, New York. Or is it?
Attached Images

Old May 20, 2011, 7:45 PM   #16

Suspect that Harriett's New York isn't but this really is. Taken while on holiday in New York (both city & up state). Arrived home last Sunday and now have the task of sorting the almost 2,000 photos that I took.
Sorry the moon isn't quite central but I had to stand in 42 St and I didn't want to hang around too long. No PP, this is the jpg extracted from the DNG

PS - this isn't my entry. At least I don't think it is. Having just been in NYC I happen to have lots of potential entries (makes a nice change!). Even more if you add the London photos taken over the last year. Now all I have to do is decide which one to use
Attached Images

Last edited by Keithw; May 21, 2011 at 6:19 PM. Reason: added the PS
Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2011, 1:39 AM   #17

Love the moon at the top of the building. It's so wonderful that you could post the real thing, to compare to my photo of the replica. Mine is pretty much a dead give-away, since I left in the Monte Carlo. It is rather nifty that they got as much detail right. Notice that the real thing has far more windows/floors before the "gargoyles" (or whatever they are) - the building New York, New York that I photographed is scaled down from the original.
Old May 29, 2011, 9:41 PM   #18
daz

Thanks pboerger and mtngal. Sorry for the late thanks but just after I posted the photo and went to bed I got a phone call telling me had to leave town ASAP in the morning. I just got back home to start catching up on things.

DAZ
Painting is an additive art. The artist adds to the canvas until they stop with their version of reality. Digital photography is subtractive art. First we throw away 90 percent of reality then remove what is left bit by bit until we have only the reality we wish to show. Flickr is like fun. PPG is like work. A camera is a machine of light and time with the purpose of capturing a luminous moment. Like the eye it is a tool of the mind.
daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2011, 4:53 PM   #19

Oops nearly forgot to post something !

I was going to go with the generic stunning cityscape of Lujiazui's massive space-age soaring towers taken from the Bund .... but instead here's something you may have seen before, a juxtaposition of the old and new :

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2011, 6:05 PM   #20

I really liked this shot when you posted it before, good choice for the challenge. Nothing says a city picture has to be of something modern.