Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 14, 2011, 4:45 AM   #11

gotta say i prefer the dud - the image has much more impact - at first i thought that was the final image and you had tweaked it to less dynamic range

regardless though dynamic range of raw can be impressive and you've done a good job of recovering the details but honestly in this case i would't have bothered the original is a keeper
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2011, 5:20 AM   #12

Hi Ned,

I like the original too, but I also think it makes a good dusk scene (a quick sample below). in PS I used the shadow/highlight filter to darken the sky + add more light in the under bridge shadows. I also added a curves layer to punch up contrast a little, and another to saturate the blues more. Finally on another blank layer I've added some yellow at about 75% opacity to the lights, to give the impression they're just coming on. I did this very quickly, and pushed something to far I can now see haloes on the lamp standards. It does give an outline of the process though, hope you don't mind. ... Jack
Attached Images

Last edited by jachol; May 15, 2011 at 5:30 AM.
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2011, 10:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Pattullo View Post
gotta say i prefer the dud - the image has much more impact - at first i thought that was the final image and you had tweaked it to less dynamic range

regardless though dynamic range of raw can be impressive and you've done a good job of recovering the details but honestly in this case i would't have bothered the original is a keeper

Many thanks John. Appreciate your words
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2011, 10:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachol View Post
Hi Ned,

I like the original too, but I also think it makes a good dusk scene (a quick sample below). in PS I used the shadow/highlight filter to darken the sky + add more light in the under bridge shadows. I also added a curves layer to punch up contrast a little, and another to saturate the blues more. Finally on another blank layer I've added some yellow at about 75% opacity to the lights, to give the impression they're just coming on. I did this very quickly, and pushed something to far I can now see haloes on the lamp standards. It does give an outline of the process though, hope you don't mind. ... Jack
Holy cats, you even have the street lights turn on Wow, thanks so much for taking the time to help. Appreciate your advice, it gives me things to think about
Old May 15, 2011, 3:04 PM   #15

Amazing all the different "tweaks" that are possible from one image - thanks for sharing the varied results!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2011, 3:18 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
Holy cats, you even have the street lights turn on Wow, thanks so much for taking the time to help. Appreciate your advice, it gives me things to think about
Thanks Ned,
Working with layers in PS, makes lots of variations possible, but you do have to dedicate yourself to a seemingly never ending learning spell, once you get the hang of things it's fun. ... Jack.
Old May 16, 2011, 4:05 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachol View Post
Thanks Ned,
Working with layers in PS, makes lots of variations possible, but you do have to dedicate yourself to a seemingly never ending learning spell, once you get the hang of things it's fun. ... Jack.
Yeah, I must be honest, I have not learned how to do "layers" yet. Just wish I had a good tutorial that works examples step by step. But I will get there some day, perhaps I should see if there are some video tutorials on youtube or something. Thanks again. Ned
Old May 16, 2011, 5:58 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
Yeah, I must be honest, I have not learned how to do "layers" yet. Just wish I had a good tutorial that works examples step by step. But I will get there some day, perhaps I should see if there are some video tutorials on youtube or something. Thanks again. Ned
Some useful videos here Ned.

http://www.thedigitalphotographyconnection.com/PFDP.php

But search around, you'll find lots of video tutorials for PS and Elements, some downloadable. Working with layers and masks opens up a whole new world in PP, but you do have to bite the bullet, and at least learn the basics, the more elaborate stuff comes later. Enjoy !. ... Jack.
Old May 16, 2011, 7:02 AM   #19

I was originally scared of layers and I don't know why, especially layer masks. Then I read something that basically said to click on the right icon, choose the paint brush and start painting. That's how easy layer masks can be. Want to keep the original to go back to while you make some possibly risky changes? Click the icon to copy layer, make your changes on the new layer. If you don't like it, drag the layer to the trash and start over. Couldn't be easier.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2011, 7:07 AM   #20

Many kind thanks Jack and Harriet! I will try to "bite the bullet" soon.