Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 18, 2011, 12:39 AM   #1

Default Recent Passages and others

The biweekly challenge that just ended was passages. I've taken a couple of pictures the past couple of days that I thought would qualify, but only got a chance to post one. Since I missed the timeframe for a couple of mine, I thought I would post them here and get your reaction to them.

Passage through Wall Street:

Passage of Water:

This waterfall is so different than the ones in Yosemite!

Passage for Changing Levels:

Some Others:

I would like some feedback on this one. I didn't increase the saturation, the color was straight out of the camera. Considering where I was yesterday, this is one of the few non-vertical shots I took. Maybe I should get a grip, if only for times like these where so many of my shots are vertical.

Another landscape shot:

Growing on the cliff wall:

Does anyone have a clue what this tiny flower is? It was clinging to the cliff wall and was growing not far from some columbine.

Another flower:

Ground Squirrel:

This little fellow, while rather skittish, was also a little begger. I have another shot (unprocessed so far) of someone taking a picture of it with a compact camera and it stayed where it was, posing for him, for longer than I would have expected.

All comments are gratefully received - I'm also on my laptop so not entirely sure about how these look.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2011, 7:44 AM   #2

Excellent shots, thanks for sharing them
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 9:10 AM   #3

I really like # 1.....makes you think about our significance in this old world.

Also the second last...the picture of the flower....very delicate, simple, but elegant photo.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 1:24 PM   #4

# 1 is very impressive ..... and I like #4 (Steps) too.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 3:15 PM   #5

The lighting on the first shot is amazing, I also like the "Another landscape shot" and the dead tree shot, Very nice series

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 5:37 PM   #6

Thanks for the compliments. The first one was taken yesterday, the others the day before. The sun played hide and seek for those days. There were snow flurries when I started down the trail to the spot where I took the first photo (the spot is actually called Wall Street, for obvious reasons, and is a short but steep walk from Sunset Point in Bryce Canyon, which really isn't a canyon). The other photos were taken in cloudy but not rainy conditions (mostly along the river walk in Zion Canyon, which really is a canyon). It made for softer light for the water fall shots and made the dead tree possible (otherwise there would be too much dynamic range).

The first one also benefited from the K5's ability to recoup detail in shadow areas - I did lighten the shadows some to bring out detail in the parts that were under the cliff overhang. You have a lot more latitude to do that with the K5 than you do with the K7.
Old May 18, 2011, 7:57 PM   #7

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I recognized #1 from my visit to Bryce Canyon! #2 and #3 look like Zion NP? Great images...getting my apetite going ahead of my planned visit to Zion, Bryce and Grand Canyon NP's in October this year!

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 11:38 PM   #8

Wonderful photos, all of them. I have never been to Bryce Canyon, and I had no idea where #1 was taken, But I did recognize your others from the very brief visit I made to Zion back in December. Way back in 1977, when I spent a summer working in Mt. Rainier National Park, I saw the same flowers you asked about. Local folks called the "Shooting Stars." I don't know the botanical name, nor do I know anything about them, other than that casual name.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2011, 12:11 AM   #9

Thank you mtnman for identifying the flower. There's more than one flower called shooting stars, one of them is the pretty shooting star or dark throat shooting star (there's a couple of other common names for it). It's dodecatheon pulchellum, not that I'll ever remember its latin name, and it's an herb that was used for medicinal purposes (at least all that is according to Wikipedia).

Only the first one was taken in Bryce, the others were all shot in Zion. I've been having trouble processing the Bryce pictures, the snow flurries and overcast made it hard for cameras to handle the white balance. I'll post them later sometime, when I've been better able to judge what looks good and what doesn't. In the meantime, I'm going to put together another thread.
Old May 20, 2011, 12:42 AM   #10

While all of them are well composed and exposed (as one would expect from you Harriet), #1 talks to me. With the title "Wall Street" I see it as a very strong and relevant comment on the individual versus the global financial system. Why don't we all sleep well at night?

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote