Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 20, 2011, 10:17 AM   #1

Default Why is my tree blue?

Well, being a first-born perfectionist, I won't sleep until I get an answer to this question... but... why is a tree in the foggy background blue. The original photo was void of much contrast, I am not very good at fog pictures... so I did add contrast... grain... played around with the lighting and all... but I still can't figure out why one tree is blue, and everything else was normal... By the way, a redeeming feature (IMO) is the ripple in the water in the foreground.

Now, it can't be the fault of the K7... no way... any ideas? And, any ideas how to fix it? Thanks.

Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2011, 10:33 AM   #2

lets see the orig pic please
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2011, 11:40 AM   #3

I will try to upload it when I can, I would need to upload it Zenfolio first. Or, I might try working through the photo again... I looked at the original and the tree is green like the tree next to it. Thanks.
Old May 20, 2011, 5:52 PM   #4

When you start playing with the black point (making things darker) you also increase saturation. The blue tree probably had a certain amount of bluish tone to it because of the shadow and fog, then when you messed with the contrast it messed brought out the blue color. The first picture in a series of mine was converted to b&w because I couldn't deal well with the increase in blue when I increased the contrast of a shot. In the original it was grey with only a hint of blue but making the darks darker really brought out the blue.

I rather like the direction you are going with this picture, it's quite "painterly". It works well with this shot.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2011, 6:40 PM   #5

Many thanks, Harriet, I did do a lot with the contrast and all... Well, I done what I can to fix the problem... Hope this is better, and I realize that people have different artistic taste... I just wanted to take a drab photo and experiment a bit. Thanks!

Below is a BEFORE and AFTER.

Old May 21, 2011, 1:23 AM   #6

That worked well, no more blue in the tree. Did you try to use the clone tool set to color? That might have been one way to correct the problem.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2011, 4:30 AM   #7

I used a "Detail Smart Brush" on PSE9. That was a first. I really see that I need to bite the bullet and learn layers, and other things instead of just the basic things like contrast, unsharpen mask, etc. Thanks Harriet. Ned
Old May 21, 2011, 4:45 AM   #8

Hi Ned,

On my screen your original has a slight blue cast. In PS I added a levels layer, and darkened the mid tones a little, then added a colour correction layer, and added yellow to corrrect the blue cast.
Result as below, does this help ... Jack.
Attached Images

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2011, 5:30 AM   #9

Hi Jack! Hey, many thanks for taking the time to help with this photo! Really appreciate such help. You are right about the blue cast... I see that I have to really, really get serious about layers, and your good example just settles this in my thinking... Thanks for your help. Ned
Old May 21, 2011, 5:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
Hi Jack! Hey, many thanks for taking the time to help with this photo! Really appreciate such help. You are right about the blue cast... I see that I have to really, really get serious about layers, and your good example just settles this in my thinking... Thanks for your help. Ned
You're welcome Ned, no problem. Take care. ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote