Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 22, 2011, 11:21 PM   #1

Default Red Rock Nevada (courtesy of Harriet)

Annette and I met Harriet (mtngal) this past week and she and her husband took us to Red Rock on a little photography excursion, here are a few shots taken with Harriet's DA 55-300mm, her FA 77mm Limited and the rest with my FA 50mm. It was a great day, good to finally meet people you have "known" for years through this forum. In image 3 find the guy who gives a sense of scale. Annette is the "model" in the first two images.

Grand Canyon shots will come later.
Attached Images

FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Last edited by Monza76; May 22, 2011 at 11:52 PM.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2011, 2:20 AM   #2

#3 is amazing Ira - the person in the shot gives a clear sense of the immense scale.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2011, 8:46 AM   #3

Very nice pictures! I haven't finished going through mine yet. And it was great fun meeting both of you, even though I would have liked to have spent more time with you.

Red Rock is run by the BLM, not sure of its proper status (it has changed a couple of times). Its a wonderful spot to visit that's very close to Las Vegas and interesting geologically.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2011, 8:54 PM   #4

These are gorgeous photos. I don't know when I'm likely to be back in that part of the world, but whenever I do, it looks like this place should be on the list of places to visit. Could this area be worked into a loop that includes Zion, Bryce, and the North Rim?
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2011, 10:52 PM   #5

It would be easy enough to do, though Bryce is too far (my opinion) to do as a day trip if you are staying in Vegas. Red Rock is barely 45 minutes from the strip, and most of that is through city traffic, it's very close to Summerlin.

It's possible to do all of it as day trips from St. George, if you are willing to drive a couple of hours one way (and it's not snowing like crazy at the North Rim, like it was last week when we were there). You could also add Antelope Canyon, outside of Page, but that's stretching things a bit for driving distance (and do-able only because you can see one of the canyons in a couple of hours). From St. George it's a couple of hours to Bryce, about an hour to Zion, a couple of hours to the North Rim, about 4 hours to Antelope Canyon (as I recall - that was a previous trip to St. George), 2 hours to Las Vegas. There's also a number of state parks in Utah that are worth visiting. If you are going to be doing a loop, add in Cedar Breaks and Capital Reef (never been to either one yet, while Cedar Breaks is doable from St. George, Capital Reef, in my opinion, is not. Cedar Breaks is only accessible by car in the summer and we always seem to be going to St. George when it's closed) and then there's Canyonlands and Arches near Moab (again, too far from St. George, would require a week or at least several days in Moab and another spot I really want to visit). Sigh - so many awesome places and not enough time...
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2011, 5:24 AM   #6

Great photos of some amazing geology!

It sounds like there are just too many places to explore, and not enough hours in the day...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote