Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 24, 2011, 7:06 AM   #1

Default Holston Mt Orchid Hunt

Several years ago I found an old report of a very rare orchid, said to be located at a certain place on nearby Holston Mt. So have been checking from time to time. The problem is that this species only blooms once every 5-10 years, when conditions are just right.

Since this has been an amazingly good year for blooms, I thought this might be the year to find Small Whorled Pogonia on Holston Mountain!

So we headed up there on a recent very foggy Saturday...
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2011, 7:08 AM   #2

The trail was lush with wildflowers - here are acres of Mayapples enjoying a fine rain (I was enjoying having a good raincoat!)
Attached Images

Old May 24, 2011, 7:09 AM   #3

Not much of a view at Flint Rock this time...
Attached Images

Old May 24, 2011, 7:10 AM   #4

But it was obviously a good day for Orchids - Pink Lady's Slipper is an orchid, and they were blooming abundantly!
Attached Images

Old May 24, 2011, 7:12 AM   #5

After diligant search, we did find some Whorled Pogonia! But there are two species - this is the Large Whorled Pogonia, not the rare species...

Is there Small Whorled Pogonia on Holston Mt? Maybe... We will keep searching, but perhaps the old records are just inaccurate...
Attached Images

Old May 24, 2011, 7:13 AM   #6

We were pleased to find some Catawba Rhododendron already in bloom (won't be blooming up at Roan Mt for a few more weeks), and also pleased to get back to a warm dry home!
Hope you enjoyed the rainy hike and orchid hunt. Thanks for any comments & critique!
Attached Images

Old Jun 8, 2011, 5:54 PM   #7

What a spooky day... I always like your pictures of woods in the fog, you capture the mood very well. And look at all those Mayapples- it's amazing how different eveyrthing looks just a few weeks later. And the ladyslippers are beautiful.

(PS-Please don't feel like you have to comment back on all these; I'm just enjoying looking at ones I may have seen but not commented yet and wanted to tell you what I thought about them )
BlueSkyHoliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2011, 9:41 PM   #8

BlueSky - so glad you enjoyed the foggy woods - we'll have to hike here together sometime soon!