Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 25, 2011, 10:57 PM   #1

Default Storms last night

had to share these. it's the first time i've captured lightning .. sirens were going off every 15 minutes. wife had the dogs in the hall close to the bathtub along with the heavy padding. i don't know where i was suppose to go.. par for the course of course..
Attached Images

robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2011, 11:55 PM   #2

Wow, they worked out very well.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old May 26, 2011, 12:10 AM   #3

Wow! Spectacular lightning shots, all of them! I've never managed anything like this so I'd probably be doing the same thing - trying to figure out how to take pictures while not getting myself killed in the processed (Through the window? Open a door? From the porch? Set it up interval shooting then hide in the cellar and hope for the best?). These are definitely worth a bit of risk.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2011, 7:21 AM   #4

Indeed some amazing photos - and glad you are safe. Lightning may be beautiful (and you photographed it quite well!), but sure is dangerous...

(ps - interior hall by the bathroom is where my wife & puppies head to in storms as well!)
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2011, 10:54 AM   #5

actually these were pretty easy. all hand held. storm was miles away.. i just happened to see where an area was very active.. i put the cam on bulb and tried to hold the cam steady. everything was black anyway except when a bolt went off. about half of them produced something. hand held at 6-10 seconds. i was just counting. i had no idea if a capture was made...

hope all is well..
Old May 26, 2011, 7:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by robar View Post
hope all is well..
Great job, Roy, under scary circumstances. Spring has not been kind to much of the country this year.

Long time no see. Hope all is well with you, too?
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2011, 10:13 PM   #7

Roy, these are stunning shots. I may get an opportunity to try my hand at the same thing, as we are under a severe thunderstorm and flash flood alert right now. I've noticed a few flashes out the window, but as yet, I've seen nothing out of the ordinary. As hard as it is to imagine, there's a tornado watch in effect for another part of Vermont. Tornadoes in Vermont are not unprecedented, but they're very unusual.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2011, 6:33 AM   #8

Super lightning shots Roy.

This is something I've wanted to try out for a long time, only we don't have many thunderstorms. And I'm a bit to lazy to get out of my bed.

Cheers

Ronny
Old May 28, 2011, 4:21 PM   #9

sara , just be careful.
shooting these i was never at risk.. i said that. the storms were miles away. at least 10-30 miles. i was just fortunate enough to find a very active area..
Old May 28, 2011, 5:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by robar View Post
had to share these. it's the first time i've captured lightning .. sirens were going off every 15 minutes. wife had the dogs in the hall close to the bathtub along with the heavy padding. i don't know where i was suppose to go.. par for the course of course..
Roy, great shots. Isn't it amazing how we think differently with a camera in our hands; from "Yikes, I gotta get outa here" to "Wow, I've got a get a shot of that!" As to where to go, my wife sends me to the dog house quite regularly.
Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote