Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 30, 2011, 9:49 PM   #1

Default It's a great year for Ladyslippers

Over the last several weeks Mole has enthralled us with lovely photos of ladyslippers blooming in the mountains of east Tennessee. My family and I spent part of the holiday weekend at a small cabin in the woods of Maine, that has been in my family for many years.

The mosquitoes were worse than I've ever seen them. I usually ignore biting insects, but this time we were attacked by massive swarms of the bloodthirsty miserable critters, and I'm sorry to say that this limited out outside time considerably. (We also discovered a lot damage done by mice over the winter, so there was no shortage of cleaning that needed to be done indoors.)

I did venture outside briefly to get some shots of the ladyslippers that are currently putting on a very beautiful show. Unfortunately I did not realize that I had accidentally set the exposure compensation to +1, so all the photos came out overexposed. I'm posting just one photo of a particularly striking cluster of ladyslippers. I spent quite a bit of time trying to recover the lost highlights. This was originally a horizontal shot, but there was some wasted space on both the right and left, and as I cropped, I thought a square worked best. I like how the oak leaves in the upper left balance with the foliage from the ladyslippers in the lower right.

This photo was taken with the K20D and the FA 50 lens, at f2.8.
Attached Images

mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2011, 2:11 AM   #2

nice shot, never saw them before, and I really like the name

Cheers

Ronny
Old May 31, 2011, 6:55 PM   #3

Earlier today, while at work, I looked quickly at this forum, and viewed this posting on my office computer. I was shocked and horrified at how oversaturated and garish it looks. Sitting here at home, viewing this forum on my laptop, it looks fine. If I have time, I'll try to change it, but until then please take my word that I did not intend the photo to look so hideously over-processed.

I think I remember the same thing happening to someone else on this forum (Ira?) just a couple of weeks ago. Since I do most of my photo processing on my laptop, it makes me wonder how many of my other photos also look this bad when viewed on a different monitor.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2011, 7:37 AM   #4

Ted, it doesn't look that bad on my screen. maybe back off the orange in the background a touch.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2011, 11:09 AM   #5

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger - it happens to lots of us, judging from posted comments on other threads. In my case, it is just the opposite - some that looked good on my desktop looked horrible on my laptop, forcing me to remove or reedit them. It may have something to do with not being calibrated, or simply to one having a better display (screen and/or graphics card or chip). It may also explain the lack of comments on some posts.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2011, 2:01 PM   #6

Beautiful composition - so glad you braved the mosquito hordes!

Colors indeed look very different on laptop and desktop - much more saturated on the LCD screen than the CRT.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote