Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 2, 2011, 10:37 AM   #1

Default More Swans and Cygnets

Hi All,

I've been going out and shooting the swans very early in the morning as I've been finding the light pretty interesting. I've been going out about 1/2 hour after sunrise, before any direct sunlight gets to the lake, and the effects are pretty pleasing. These were all shot with the K-5 and DA55-300. I wanted absolutely no blown highlights, so used -1 Ev comp on just about all of the shots since they were mostly against a relatively dark water surface for background. All shot in jpeg and where processed for NR, cropped, and sharpened before and during resizing for posting.

This first shot of one of the adults struck me because it looks almost like studio lighting. It's a vertical crop from an original landscape shot.

Here's the whole family, and difference between this and the first is why I chose to use the zoom. Too much walking up and back to get different perspectives would probably have disturbed them too much.

Some closer shots of the cygnets.

This was a little later that day, in direct sunlight. I've been trying to get a shot with the pair of adults lined up like this for literally years. Too bad the babies didn't cooperate too. . .

This last one is from this morning. I've been finding 16:9 as a good crop if I want to get a lot of these guys into a relatively tight frame.

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 2, 2011, 11:31 AM   #2

Good ones, Scott. the baby's are so cute!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2011, 8:35 PM   #3

For the life of me, I can't see where the "Ugly Duckling" parable came from! These little ones are anything but!

No. 5 shows the size difference between cob (male - rear) and pen (female - front) clearly. Don't know where those names came from either. Nice shot.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2011, 5:35 AM   #4

Lovely series and #1 is a great portrait - it's just a shame that Swans eyes are camouflaged so well !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2011, 12:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
it's just a shame that Swans eyes are camouflaged so well !
Not from their point of view - the black in front of the eyes reduces reflected glare from the water's surface, in this case to help them see the bottom - like the black smears on football players cheeks. You also see it on other birds, like falcons, for a similar purpose.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2011, 9:30 PM   #6

I'm with penolta - cygnets are adorable! These pictures are wonderful pictures of such majestic birds, you are lucky to have the opportunity to follow them.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote