Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 5, 2011, 6:43 PM   #1

Default K100D Factory Refurb at Best Buy

There are still quite a few K100 users out there, so here's a heads up for those who love or have loved this great Pentax DSLR: Best Buy has a refurbished K100D on its website for $259. And it looks like its a Super - which means there shouldn't be any compatability issues with SDM lenses and other modern accessories. The K100D is one of the best of the 6 megapixel-era DSLRS.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/PENTAX+-...3250449&loc=01
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2011, 7:04 PM   #2

if i lived in the us i would be sorely tempted for IR work - tried it on my k7 and was not good the filter was just to strong - doubt my k5 would be any better so not even bothered trying
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2011, 7:44 PM   #3

Seems like a very good deal, though it only comes with a 90-day warranty. (Perhaps that's customary for factory-refurbished items; I don't know.)

I loved my K100D, and I was consistently very pleased with the images it produced.

Best Buy made several mistakes in listing the specs: the K100 and the K100 Super both do have shake reduction, and they both have a 3 FPS burst mode. I believe it was the K110D that did not have built-in image stabilization.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2011, 8:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman View Post
Seems like a very good deal, though it only comes with a 90-day warranty. (Perhaps that's customary for factory-refurbished items; I don't know.)

I loved my K100D, and I was consistently very pleased with the images it produced.

Best Buy made several mistakes in listing the specs: the K100 and the K100 Super both do have shake reduction, and they both have a 3 FPS burst mode. I believe it was the K110D that did not have built-in image stabilization.
You are correct, sir!

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0706/07...k100dsuper.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk100d/

And, yes, 90-days is the typical warranty on a factory refurbished camera. Some dealers sell longer aftermarket warrantees to go with them.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 8:43 PM   #5

I still have my K100 and use it occasionally for IR mostly. John, I tried the Hoya R72 filter on the K5 and had even worse results than with the K20. This could be a good deal for someone wanting to play around with IR, and to have a nice, inexpensive camera.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2011, 8:56 PM   #6

I have never tried IR photography. Do lower-resolution camera work better? I hear that not all lenses work well. Does anyone know what Pentax or Pentax-compatible lenses are a good bet?
Old Jun 6, 2011, 8:39 AM   #7

It's not the lower resolution that makes the K100 and earlier cameras good for IR, it's the filter Pentax put in front of the lens. The K100 and earlier cameras had a fairly weak filter for blocking IR light waves - I've always assumed that was one of the reasons why the earlier cameras had trouble with reds. I'm not sure about the K10, but I can verify from personal experience that the K20 and later cameras have a much more efficient filter and they block all IR light.

I couldn't justify buying a 77mm Hoya R72 filter, so that I could use it on all my lenses. I also saw that some of my bigger ones were on the list of lenses that don't work (I found that list on the other pentax forum a while back), then I rather stupidly didn't check the threads on my (then) new 55-300, assumed I remembered the diameter correctly and bought the wrong sized filter (55 instead of 58). That means I can use my Hoya filter on my lenses with 52 and 49 threads (bought step-up rings). I've used it successfully with the 77 Ltd, Viv 105 (though with the manual focus it's a bit problematic, IR light focuses at a different distance), kit 18-55 and the 35 macro. I like the 35 macro probably best for this - my kit lens isn't the greatest.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote