Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 7, 2011, 12:01 AM   #1

Default Sunday Morning

Sunday I wanted to go out and take some photos with a polarizer, to show the potential problems one can have with a wide angle lens and a polarizer (the current biweekly challenge). What I found wasn't at all inspiring...

Pretty boring actually. But looking closer I managed to find something to photograph, even if it wasn't blue skies. Wet wild grass is worth something - it's not often wet like this.

I always love the humble lupine, it adds some pretty color to an otherwise drab landscape (see the first picture).

This one might not have much of the color it will have, but for some reason I like this picture.

Maybe its because we don't see much rain that I find it so much fun to photograph naturally wet flowers. The light rain/drizzle/mist was just the right amount to put lots and lots of drops on the flowers and leaves.

While the poppies were pretty sparse lower down this year, there's been a reasonable number higher up. There's never huge numbers or blanketed hillsides at this high altitude, and some years there aren't any at all.

I've been playing around with Nik Software's Viveza and think I might have over-done it with this one. What do you think? Is it over-the-top or all right?

Very close, almost 1:1 macro range.

I didn't really manage much with the wide angle lens and the polarizer. Instead, I concentrated on a couple of close-ups and discovered that I'm out of practice when it comes to manual focus. While live view really helps, it was often difficult to see the LCD screen clearly enough - I think I'll start seriously looking around for a right-angle attachment for the viewfinder. I didn't particularly want to get wet lying down on the ground to get pictures - perhaps I should add a poncho or groundcloth to my photo kit for such times?

Any comments are gratefully accepted.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2011, 12:28 AM   #2

I always love to see water on flowers .... and especially insects !

Poppies (yellow ?) - I think the upright poppy has a lovely 3D effect and is the best shot of this series. As for the Viveza shot ... slightly, just slightly, over-cooked.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 3:05 PM   #3

Looking at these on my monitor at work, the viveza one is a bit over-cooked, too much saturation with the orange and yellow. I'll try toning that down tonight. I like the darker background, but not the way the flower came out.

Interesting that you liked the upright poppy best - that was taken with the FA 31. The others (except for the first one, posted only to show the lousy weather and certainly not for its artistic value, which is zero or minus 5) were taken with the Viv 105 macro. Guess it's back to the drawing board, nothing I've taken recently seems to be worth anything. Hoped that by doing some macro, which I usually love doing, I'd get over this, but guess not.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 8:12 AM   #4

Nice series, Harriett! Good job.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 6:58 PM   #5

Yes, very nice.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Jun 9, 2011, 10:00 PM   #6

I like all these photos, including the first, which you've said you don't like very much. And it certainly is surprising (for me anyway) to see so much mist and rain in your arid region at this time of year.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2011, 10:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Looking at these on my monitor at work, the viveza one is a bit over-cooked, too much saturation with the orange and yellow. I'll try toning that down tonight. I like the darker background, but not the way the flower came out.

Interesting that you liked the upright poppy best - that was taken with the FA 31. The others (except for the first one, posted only to show the lousy weather and certainly not for its artistic value, which is zero or minus 5) were taken with the Viv 105 macro. Guess it's back to the drawing board, nothing I've taken recently seems to be worth anything. Hoped that by doing some macro, which I usually love doing, I'd get over this, but guess not.
I like the series - very enjoyable! Agree with other poster's comments.

I see some potential here... might I suggest some creative cropping on that upright image you are discussing? Just a thought.

Regards,
Marc

“The camera is only a tool: the image is the product of your mind and vision.”
Marc Langille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2011, 9:34 AM   #8

Perhaps I gave up too fast on the first one. As a landscape oriented shot, I thought it didn't work - too many horizontal lines that kind-of stopped you from looking further. When I looked at it on the monitor I wished that there had been a road or a trail that led over the first ridge, to lead you more into the whole scene and the fog/clouds beyond. Marc's suggestion about cropping it as a vertical could potentially deal with that (cropping off the left side?), perhaps allowing you to see more of the depth of the scene, rather than stopping at the sage brush in the foreground. Perhaps its the fact that I'm feeling tired of sagebrush and brown hills/mountains that got me to sigh over the first one so much.

Also, looking at it makes me wonder about a shot in the same place in good weather. The one posted here shows clearly the change from sage brush/high desert to the transition zone of pinon pines. There are taller pines mixed with the pinons at the top of the ridge, so this spot might be able to show 3 different ecosystems. I'm not sure I could pull it off as the pines are pretty much the same color and it would be difficult to see any difference between the tall but distant pines and the shorter, lower, closer ones. But an interesting thought, something to explore some day.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 9:37 PM   #9

Wonderful wet plants - and so clear & sharp!

Your ecosystem comparison photo sounds like a great idea - would love to see the results...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 9:35 PM   #10

Very nice series, love the poppies.

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote