Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 12, 2011, 5:01 PM   #11

Nice capture, Kashka.
I have only been lucky enough to see Wax wings in my yard one time and my photos didn't turn out nearly as nice as yours did.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 10:32 PM   #12

The white balance can affect quite a bit, though my K5 sometimes makes odd choices early in the morning. I tend to use AWB a lot, but not always. And yes, as you progress and get a more feature-filled camera, there's a whole lot more to think about. Add a fast lens where dof is an issue and you need to practice, to get an instinctive feel for what aperture to use. It can be lots of fun, very surprising, frustrating and heart-breaking all at the same time.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2011, 6:52 AM   #13

Hans,I will check that setting when I do the charts..thanks!
Thankyou,Goldwinger..they are such pretty coloured birds..I like their little red wing tips and yellow tips on their tail..this is the first time I really got to see these markings.
Mtngal..I hear you about the emotional aspect..sometimes I just think its time to take a hiatus for awhile because of the frustration...then some good shots come my way and my faith is renewed..
kashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2011, 8:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashka View Post
..sometimes I just think its time to take a hiatus for awhile because of the frustration...then some good shots come my way and my faith is renewed..
LOL! How well can I relate to that!

Sometimes when I find myself in a real funk I'll buy something, an accessory preferably small and/or relatively inexpensive. My most recent purchase, thanks to the current bi-weekly topic of polarizers, is a 58mm thread polarizer for the FA 31 - I didn't have anything in that range. I went to my local camera shop and asked for a polarizer with 58 threads, saying I wasn't 100% sure that's what the lens needed. The guy behind the desk takes one look at my f1.8 prime lens and pulls out a Heliopan, which I strongly suspect is their most expensive filter. I had already decided that I'd buy top quality both because I was putting it on a top quality lens and also because I already knew that cheap filters are not worth the cost for the most part. It's beautifully made, feels great, and has calibration marks on the filter itself, something I've missed with the B+W filter I have. I happily parted with my money and that evening took one stunning picture, just wish I had worked harder on composition.

Hope you are still doing well with yours.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote