Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 10, 2011, 6:05 AM   #1

Default Some visitors the other morn

Good morning,all..as of late I have been fighting with my new KR.It seems to be like a whole new learning curve trying to coax some good photos out of it..I don't know if it's my old eyes but everything seems to be coming out soft...where when I used my k100d I hardly had any issues..but anyways it's really making me practice...lol..so here's a couple that I am a little happy with.
A few cedar waxwings dropped by the other morning on our blooming apple trees..seems they were nibbling at the blossoms.I know they come thru in the winter to get a little juiced up on the frozen berries but this is a first for me..seeing them in the spring.
Attached Images

kashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2011, 6:07 AM   #2

oops...I apologise..I haven't posted for so long I forgot to downsize the a little.I hope these aren't too big!
lisa
Old Jun 10, 2011, 2:13 PM   #3

Nice pictures of a very pretty bird!

If your pictures are coming out consistently soft, have you checked the AF? When I got my FA 31 I was a bit disappointed with it because too many pictures were soft. I figured out that it was back-focusing a bit, enough for many pictures to look soft but not so much that it was completely obvious that it was out of focus. A lunch time spent fine-tuning the AF made all the difference in the world. I'd recommend shooting focus charts (which only works some of the time for me) and turning off AF and manually focusing, though I find AF lenses harder to manually focus than ones that started out as MF.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2011, 7:34 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice,Mtngal...I was thinking of trying those focus charts..Happened to come across some while researching sharp focussing.I have to asl to..how do you fine tune the AF? I have tried some of the sharpening options in the settings and haven't noticed much of a difference.I even used the same lens on the k100d and did a similar shot/test sequence so I think I ruled out the lens as a culprit.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 8:30 PM   #5

Kashka - These look great to me, but sometimes it's hard (for me) to judge from photos that have been reduced small enough for posting...

Do all of your lenses seem to produce soft results, or is it just this one?
Would be interested to hear the results of your focus chart tests. Hope you get this problem resolved to your satisfaction soon!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:17 PM   #6

I thought I had read that there was an option to fine tune the AF on the KR, though it was limited to one adjustment for all lenses (could have sworn I read that in another forum). The K5 can store different adjustments for different lenses, one of those features that make the K5 worth the extra cost (there's a certain tolerance that a lens and camera are manufactured to, and if you have a lens that's at one end of the tolerance and a camera at the other you'll have focus issues. Your K100 is probably at the same end of the tolerance as your lens).

But I just downloaded the KR's owner manual and couldn't find anything in it about adjusting for back or front focusing. So I guess I'm mistaken, I don't think you can adjust a KR yourself - you'd have to send it in for warranty repair, and they would most likely want both the camera and lens (they'll get the camera to match your particular lens). Call Pentax servicing and ask about it.

But before you send it in, definitely shoot some focus charts to see if the problem is the lens alignment, it's entirely possible there's something else going on to cause your pictures to be soft, like there might be something wrong with your SR (test - take pictures with SR both on and off at shutter speeds fast enough that you won't get camera shake).
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:34 PM   #7

I think you are right about the limited one adjustment..I'll look into that a little more..I just find that with the old camera most everything came out to my liking..but then again there are a whole lot more settings to this one..so maybe the settings need tweaking.I remember when I first got the k100..I was frustrated for the first little while also..but after lots of experimenting with the settings I came to be happy again..lol.Thanks again for all your ideas and input..I'm going Flin Flon way next week for work..so I will have great scenic opportunities to practice on (plus some fishing!)
Mole..it seems to be with all my lenses..not that I have alot..but I definitely will try the focus charts.Sometimes I think maybe I am just expecting perfection just because I upgraded..I have to remember it's not just the camera that produces nice results...it takes some work by the person behind the viewfinder,too..
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:53 PM   #8

While I agree with you up to a point, I had the experience of owning an early K10 with AF issues. I was using enough manual focus lenses that it took me over a year and a half to finally figure out that my intermittent problems were the camera, not the operator, and I wasn't entirely sure until I got a K20 and saw the difference. So while there's a lot of mistakes you may be making, it's entirely possible the problem is with the camera, not the operator.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 11:27 PM   #9

Good point..deep down I am probably hoping it's not the camera just because of the hassle of returning it. But I did see some light (no pun intended) when i was taking some shots at my nephew's all star football game a week ago.I met a sports photographer on the sidelines and we chatted cameras and I expressed my dismay about my new purchase.How I wasn't too happy so far and I hope I get some decent shots that day.He suggested AWB because of the day .Well geez I got home..my shots were the best I ever took in three years of my nephew's football.So..one simple setting and there was an improvement..they even seemed sharper in my mind..lol.I took some shots of wild ducks today and I think things are improving focus wise a little bit.I am paying more attention to my settings(using aperture priority more now) and maybe that is what I have to do.The other camera was basically point and shoot..not much thinking.. I will still try the charts because I am totally not convinced.Time will be the deciding factor..if I am not happy...I will definitely call Pentax.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 7:09 AM   #10

The AF fine adjustment on the Kr is menu C item 21. it is global one adjustment for all lenses the option is +/- 10, I did shoot some charts and mine was on at "0"

If your soft focus is indoors the Kr has a ff issue under tungsten light just search this and other forums. Most of the lighting at my home is CFL so it doesn't affect me at all.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:

Last edited by hnikesch; Jun 11, 2011 at 7:13 AM.
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote