Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 13, 2011, 2:22 PM   #1

Default Polarizers

I don't know how many people on this part of the forum follow the bi-weekly challenge section. The topic right now is polarizers and I had fun last week playing with 3 polarizers, to see what they would do together. If you are interested in them, you'll find the thread: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/bi...lots-imgs.html

Also, I bought a new polarizer and took this comparison with the FA 31:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/bi...ening-1-a.html

I've had a great time playing around with something that can be very useful, but which I often forget about. Think I'll leave the polarizer on the 31 and the FA on the camera for a while, just to get familiar with it all.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2011, 3:29 PM   #2

One thing you might consider is that using a polarizer at high altitude may not be as satisfactory as at sea level perhaps because the atmosphere is thinner and there is less blue scatter to filter out. It was a lesson I learned the hard way. Back in the day I took a bunch of Ektachromes through a polarizer on my first visit to Yosemite, and when they came back after development I was bitterly disappointed that, contrary to what I saw in the viewfinder, the skies in many of them were so darkened that all the nice blues were entirely gone, and there was nothing left but a very dark sky. Of course, with instant review on today's digital cameras, that wouldn't happen, because you could vary the amount of extinction until you get the effect you want, without worrying about how the film might record it differently.

Last edited by penolta; Jun 13, 2011 at 3:32 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2011, 9:41 PM   #3

It is a touchier thing to use a polarizer at higher elevations. I'm low enough that one seems to darken the skies without making them almost black, for the most part. Also, the camera seems to compensate better for the difference in contrast. Tonight I thought I would see what the difference would be between a circular and linear polarizer. My linear one is 49 mm and my small circular is 58, so I used the FA 31 and the DA 35 macro. When looking through the viewfinder it seemed to me that the linear made the sky darker than the circular. However, when I looked at the pictures on the monitor they were the same. And the camera used the same shutter speed and ISO (I was using Av mode and used the same aperture). So while I THOUGHT the linear created more of a difference, it didn't.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:57 AM   #4

Mtngal,
I was looking through the challenge section at your examples.
You've got me inspired!
I'm going to dig out my polarizers and play around!
Thanks!
Glen
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2011, 8:51 PM   #5

Very interesting polarizer experiments & posting! Polarizers sure do add a lot to photos of landscapes, sunlit plants, etc. Thanks for the good reminders!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2011, 9:43 PM   #6

Thanks for the compliments, Glen and Mole. Mole - I would imagine that you would use one quite a bit. I need to use mine more than I have, they can be lots of fun.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 9:44 PM   #7

Check out the photos I just posted from Roan Mt - nearly all were with polarizer...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2011, 9:58 PM   #8

You must have posted this comment right around the time I was asking you if you used a polarizer for the first two. I thought you might have.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:21 PM   #9

Very nice. I misplaced my polarizer a few months ago, and I have yet to find it. I've found that polarizers frequently improve an image considerably.

I learned about polarizers and high altitudes the hard way. In 1977, I had a summer job in Mt. Rainier National Park. I still have many Kodachrome slides of beautiful mountain scenery, with a totally black sky! (I had a rangefinder that summer, so I did not have the benefit of viewing the scene directly through the lens, as I would have with an SLR.)
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2011, 7:31 PM   #10
daz

A polarizer is definitely a must have tool to have in the bag for out door photos. That and my polarizing sun glass. With out them I feel unprepared.

DAZ
Painting is an additive art. The artist adds to the canvas until they stop with their version of reality. Digital photography is subtractive art. First we throw away 90 percent of reality then remove what is left bit by bit until we have only the reality we wish to show. Flickr is like fun. PPG is like work. A camera is a machine of light and time with the purpose of capturing a luminous moment. Like the eye it is a tool of the mind.
daz is offline   Reply With Quote