Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 17, 2011, 7:48 AM   #1

Default Alternative Tripod

Hi all,

I've always found carrying a tripod cumbersome, so use these days is confined to the immediate vicinity of my home. Even carrying and using a monopod is a bind.
As I've aged I've found that I need more stability, especiallly as my main interest is macro work, so I was pleased to find this so called "Neckpod" that's much more convenient to carry. I've just taken delivery, and after a short time of experimental use, it's obvious that it will be a very useful piece of kit, obviosly not as stable as a tripod, but it does come close.

It's not something I've seen on the market before. UK and European members may recognise the Channel Islands source, and the price (7.79 delivered) is a steal. ... Jack.
Attached Images

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2011, 9:16 AM   #2

I've seen these before and thought of trying one. Like to hear how you get on with it !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2011, 9:39 AM   #3

They are called chestpods, and been around for decades, first one I saw was back in the 70's probably earlier..
Here is one (now out of production like most of them) at B&H
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...pod_Magic.html

They worked but not well, were completely depended on your stability, and your heavy breathing.

A gunstock mount is more stable (with practice, same as shooting rifles) but in these paranoid days not the best thing to be carrying around the city.
The Bushhawk makes several designs of gunstock camera mounts.
http://www.bushhawk.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
I've seen these before and thought of trying one. Like to hear how you get on with it !

Last edited by PeterP; Jun 17, 2011 at 9:48 AM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
Hi Kevin, I think ... apologies if I have the name wrong, Yes I'll post results when I've had chance to give it a fair trial. ... Jack.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
They are called chestpods, and been around for decades, first one I saw was back in the 70's probably earlier..
Here is one (now out of production like most of them) at B&H
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...pod_Magic.html

They worked but not well, were completely depended on your stability, and your heavy breathing.

A gunstock mount is more stable (with practice, same as shooting rifles) but in these paranoid days not the best thing to be carrying around the city.
The Bushhawk makes several designs of gunstock camera mounts.
http://www.bushhawk.com/
OK Peter,

Fair comment, but it is something new to me. Re. stability ... well if you shoot or have shot a rifle at all, you learn to control your breathing, so having served in the British army for 3 years during the Korean war I don't see that as a problem.

I know of the bushhawk, and to me that would be the same as toting a tripod around, so that defeats the object, and as you rightly comment, swanning around in the UK with that item you wouldn't last more than a few minutes, your feet wouldn't touch the ground, you' be arrested in no time at all, or maybe end up dead, so no thanks to that one.

I just want something easily portable, and from initial testing it will do the job I want. ... Jack.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 7:37 PM   #6

Yes exactly, that is what I was getting at!
Most people have a hard time being still and don't realize they are fidgeting & shifting weight around or aware of their breathing. Made the chest pod a not too popular item.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachol View Post
OK Peter,
Re. stability ... well if you shoot or have shot a rifle at all, you learn to control your breathing, so having served in the British army for 3 years during the Korean war I don't see that as a problem..
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:47 PM   #7

Looks very intriguing - will look forward to hearing how well it works for you. (sure hope it is a successful tool!)
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2011, 12:48 AM   #8

I think it would offer at least a bit more stability. I once had a full sized VHS camcorder, back in the mid-80's I think. It was fairly large, rested on my shoulder. I could get quite competent videos using it, where I couldn't manage anything at all with something smaller and hand-held.

I've thought that a bushhawk would be very useful. I tried one at a photo show, it had a Canon with a 500mm stabilized lens mounted on it. I was impressed at how much more stable the camera was when using it. But as others have mentioned, it's not something I'd want to carry around Los Angeles...
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2011, 5:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I think it would offer at least a bit more stability. I once had a full sized VHS camcorder, back in the mid-80's I think. It was fairly large, rested on my shoulder. I could get quite competent videos using it, where I couldn't manage anything at all with something smaller and hand-held.

I've thought that a bushhawk would be very useful. I tried one at a photo show, it had a Canon with a 500mm stabilized lens mounted on it. I was impressed at how much more stable the camera was when using it. But as others have mentioned, it's not something I'd want to carry around Los Angeles...
Hi Harriet,

Well so far experimental use has been mainly indoors with macro subjects, far too much wind outside for macro work. Results are definitely better with it, than without, you feel more braced with your arms close to your body, and a bit of downward pressure on the camera. There's plenty of adjustment both in the neckstrap, and the length of the camera support to get a comfortable arrangement. Only gripe so far is that the quick release mounting plate for the camera is non-standard, it has a tapered slide and lock on it's underside, rather than the usual drop in and lock, but it's something I will get used to.
I must try it with a longer reach, heavier lens, when the weather permits. One thing I'm sure of is that I'm getting better results with long exposures than I've had previously handheld.
That's all I can report right now, so hopefully more later. ... Jack.