Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 25, 2011, 12:10 PM   #1

Default Birch Tree Forest

When I sit outside on the porch of my in-laws sauna, I am surround with this lovely forest of birch trees and very cold lake which I refuse to jump into, though Finns dig that kind of thing. Note: it was very difficult to get much detail in this photo, and I dread over-sharpened photos. Any advice for shoot green grass, etc, is appreciate.

Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2011, 3:12 PM   #2

Depends on what you are shooting with, on my camera I have an option to shoot with vivid color...since you are shooting with such a white birch then green grass this may help.
Also, try different white balance...sun, shade, etc.
Personally, if this is as was taken...no post production...it is great.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2011, 3:30 PM   #3

Last edited by lisalonewolf; Jun 25, 2011 at 3:33 PM. Reason: taken while driving, I was passenger
Old Jun 25, 2011, 3:32 PM   #4

Last edited by lisalonewolf; Jun 25, 2011 at 3:33 PM. Reason: Sony H1, 5mp camera, taken at roadside
Old Jun 25, 2011, 4:17 PM   #5

Many thanks! I see the challenge of getting grass correctly is not easiest task in the world for a camera. What we see clearly with our eyes is not always the same sharpness that will be recorded digitally... perhaps I am way too much of perfectionist.. Thanks for your photos and advice! Ned
Old Jun 25, 2011, 5:51 PM   #6

Personally I think the image is fine as it is. Many photographers have been lured by the subtle beauty of a stand of birch trees, you have done it justice in this fine shot.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Jun 25, 2011, 8:07 PM   #7

I agree with Ira. This photo shows a very peaceful and pleasant birch stand. I understand the desire for great sharpness, but for this photo I don't think more sharpness would help. The image, just as it is, makes me want to walk directly into those trees and see what is deeper in the forest.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2011, 10:12 PM   #8

I agree with Ira also, I don't think you need as much sharpness with this shot. The whites look a bit blown out, if you can re-shoot it, try dialing in a little negative EV (-.3 or -.7) and see if that helps. You'd probably need to lighten the darker greens, but I don't think it would be that much. Or try a bracketed series and do an HDR, assuming it's a calm day. Another thing that I noticed is that the front tree might be a hair oof - it's hard to see with the reduced size here (could have also become a bit softer when you resize) so I might be wrong, but it looked a bit less focused/sharp than the trees further away (not very much at all, just a bit more softness to my eye). Does the original show that? It is small enough that I'm not sure if what I think I see is for real or just me.

In any case, I really like the picture.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2011, 1:30 AM   #9

First, thanks Ira for your comment. I think I need to check my first-born perfectionism at times. mtnman, thanks for your comment too, it really gives me much encouragement personally (AND to do better) when someone says they wish they could walk into the photo and see more. Harriet, I always like you suggestions, and so I did try use them as I could. My revision is a little darker, but that is because THIS is what I saw, in the woods. The sun briefly popped out and then monsoon came So, there is some sunlight hitting the white birch. Thanks again for your very practical suggestions. What sayest thou about this photo??? Thank all! Ned

Oh, there is a slight SOFTENING after resizing this photo... and then uploading it, but that is ok. I think this photo is without the "clipping" in the white birch trees above... and it looks real to life... This is the view of what I see when I sit outside the sauna on the porch, admiring the trees and the lake.

Last edited by Eetu; Jun 26, 2011 at 3:25 AM.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 2:40 PM   #10

Ned - Such a great capture of the complex mood of this fine birch woodland - I can almost smell the grass and birch bark! Both versions look good to me, just slightly different tones...

I agree that too much sharpening would break the dreamy mood...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote