Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 26, 2011, 3:36 PM   #11

Looks like a great experiment! And very interesting explanations of the techniques as well.

Personal favorites: The closest face-shot of the ground squirrel - so much personality! The second color photo (house) - such great balance (although it looks like there is a dust spot in the sky on the right). And the door - such amazing textures...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2011, 7:31 PM   #12

Yes Mole that is indeed a dust spot, I hadn't even noticed it but I will fix it. Well since yesterday's tomorrow is now today here are a few from today
The Red-necked phalarope I believe and a local carving.
Attached Images

FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Jun 26, 2011, 8:49 PM   #13

More fun pictures! I've got to get out and shoot more, you are inspiring.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2011, 9:04 PM   #14

Great work Ira. And it is true: Color just happens. Two questions: 1) What lens(s) were you using on this little outing? 2) Can I move into your neighborhood?

Last edited by Biro; Jun 26, 2011 at 9:07 PM.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2011, 10:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biro View Post
Great work Ira. And it is true: Color just happens. Two questions: 1) What lens(s) were you using on this little outing? 2) Can I move into your neighborhood?
The colours are accurate as well, ponds here are the most brilliant blue while the ocean is a strange green-brown hue. The lens was a rather pedestrian DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 ED WR which is quickly becoming my favourite lens. The bird shots were heavily cropped yet remained sharp (at the full 200mm end where this lens is supposedly soft). As for moving here, you may be disappointed it isn't really that exciting.

Harriet, it is amazing how a little re-evaluation based on new knowledge and a little sage wisdom from an old New York photographer (on video at that) can change the way you do things. I think this is the first time in years that I am more interested in the pictures than I am in the equipment. Basically the K20D with the 50-200 just waits for me to go out, everything else (except the DL with FA 28-105 which I take to school every day) is sitting in the camera bag waiting for the trip home.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Old Jun 27, 2011, 4:53 PM   #16

Ira, these are great shots, and I can understand your longing for color after a b&w winter (with a lot of B). The color is also stunning.

Really like the first and last ones.

Cheers

Ronny
Old Jun 27, 2011, 5:15 PM   #17

A very productive approach to photography, Ira. I like them all, but the colour series is my favourite.
I hope I can do what you have done, my photography have been too "utilitarian" oriented for too long now.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2011, 6:44 PM   #18

Thanks Ronny.

Kjell, I found that I was getting too wrapped up with the equipment and not just taking the time to go for a walk with a camera. Hearing someone of experience put it all into such simple terms was the inspiration I needed. I used to go out looking for something specific, now I just take a camera and look around. If I see something new or something of interest catches my eye I shoot it (best quality jpeg, bracketed three shots 0.7 over and under, I know that RAW is better and I hit the RAW button whenever I feel it is a difficult exposure).

It has only been a few days but they have seemed more productive than the last few months (Las Vegas vacation excepted).

Old Jun 28, 2011, 12:47 AM   #19

I'm trying to go back to simple stuff, take things that catch my eye again also. Trying to take a great picture doesn't seem to work for me at all, I do much better by just spotting something I like and then shooting it, shooting for my own satisfaction (I'll never be a pro). Last week a co-worker had put together a video consisting of a bunch of pictures of SoCal - some mine, some his, some he got off the internet. Looking at how he did the montage made me realize how I often pass up iconic SoCal type images because they are there every day and I no longer 'see' them. But to see a montage of these types of things was very cool, and inspiring.

Then, Sunday I spent a couple of hours re-processing a picture I took several years ago with the K10. As far as I was concerned, it was a quick snap taken on an early morning walk after I had been playing around with my (then) new DA*50-135. I was rushing to get back to my office before work and happened to notice something that looked neat, so I paused and snapped a picture.

The camera had chosen ISO 800 and f2.8, which is fairly noisy on the K10 but useable for small prints and low-res monitor/screen saver type of thing (my usual thing). However, what I was doing this weekend was trying to enlarge the original file so that it would have enough quality to print full page in a book. What to me was a quick snap of something I noticed turns out to be perfect for someone else's book (just hope that the errors I made with the initial shot won't preclude them for using it the way they want - I have my doubts). So keep snapping away at things that look cool - colors, textures, shapes. You never know when one of them might strike a chord with someone else, or be just the thing someone needs.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2011, 1:04 AM   #20

Hi Ira,

Wonderful images - I really like the colors!

At work today, I walked into the office area where we are doing some Canadian work. Up on one of the walls, was a map of Canada, with all the DEW line sites located. So, I stood there, remembering that you were up there and trying to remember the site that was in some of your images. Then I saw it - the "T" name that I could not pronounce. I didn't realize that its in the Yukon! For some reason, I thought that it was much further east and on the Atlantic or Hudson Bay. For some funny reason I thought that it was in Nova Scotia. So much for my Canadian geography.

Anyway, I brought up Google Earth and zoomed in on Tuktoyaktuk. Then I started clicking on some of the images icons that Panoramio had on the area. One question - what is the big round hole up there?

Have you posted any of your images to Panoramio?

I really like your images....
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote