Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 28, 2011, 4:34 PM   #1

Default Decision, Decisions

I've been waiting for the price of a K-5 body to drop below $1000 - probably at the end of the year at the very earliest. But I have to admit that I'm beginning to get impatient. So the question I'm now asking myself is: A K-5 body for $1299 at B&H now, or a DA 21 Limited at $509 for my K200D now and the K-5 at maybe Christmas? What do my fellow Pentaxians say?
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2011, 5:20 PM   #2

Sounds like you plan on getting both, why not start with the K5, it will improve the results on all of you lenses.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2011, 2:21 AM   #3

That would normally be an easy decision and up till the k-5 I would have said go for the lens. But now ... I think getting the K-5 might be better.
(never thought I would put a body before glass)

Ronny
Old Jun 29, 2011, 8:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biro View Post
I've been waiting for the price of a K-5 body to drop below $1000 - probably at the end of the year at the very earliest. But I have to admit that I'm beginning to get impatient. So the question I'm now asking myself is: A K-5 body for $1299 at B&H now, or a DA 21 Limited at $509 for my K200D now and the K-5 at maybe Christmas? What do my fellow Pentaxians say?
You already have a "killer" list of lenses-I would go with the K-5. I have (3) of the Limiteds-DA 40, DA 21, & DA 70 and they are all special. Still use them on my old Ist DS and K20D.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2011, 10:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhermans View Post
That would normally be an easy decision and up till the k-5 I would have said go for the lens. But now ... I think getting the K-5 might be better.
(never thought I would put a body before glass)

Ronny
Yeah, that's just it: Historically my automatic default would have been to buy the lens. But the K-5 is the first Pentax that has made me want to upgrade from my K200D. I have to think hard here for the next day or so. The good news is, either way I can't loose.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2011, 1:34 PM   #6

Well, from a dollars and cents perspective, if lenses don't come down that much, maybe get the lens now (since it is less than the camera), let the difference in price build up some interest in the bank, and then wait for that sale on the camera. <grin>

Get both for less. And earn a little interest along the way.
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2011, 1:55 PM   #7

Hi Biro,

Each body upgrade before the K-5 was incremental. The change to the K-5 has fundamentally changed the way I capture images and the way I determine the gear that I choose to handle a particular situation.

An example of this was Father's day. My 1st cousin once removed (my cousin's son) was going to be elevated to Eagle Scout. The ceremony was indoors with mixed lighting and the very informal reception was just outside on a patio area on a partly cloudy day. I didn't need professional quality results, but just wanted to record the event for him and his parents. Normally, I would have used my Tamron 28-75 f2.8 or Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5 and either the DA* 50-135 f2.8 or Tokina 80-200 f2.8 AT-X Pro with my 540 FGZ, all traditional "events" gear. I had all of these in the car, but after getting to the venue early, I took some readings and found there was enough light to use the DA 18-250 f3.5-6.3 for everything without a flash.

I shoot a lot of head shots, so the extra reach was useful. At f6.3 and ISO 8000, I could get the head shots I wanted at 1/125, and the wide end was just wide enough to get enough coverage for the position that I chose. I wanted to be able to enjoy the event as well as shoot it and the K-5 allowed me to do this by freeing me from fiddling with the gear the whole time.

Was I able to get the best possible shots? Naw -- there were a lot of things I could have done to get better results, but I'd have to work at it a lot harder. With other cameras, I would have had to use the flash, and taking 200 shots during the ceremony with the flash would have been disruptive, but shooting available light with the quiet shutter of the K-5, I was actually the least obtrusive person taking pictures at the event.

I did have to PP all of the indoor shots, but minor color correction and minimal NR was all that was needed, and the process was pretty automatic, so it went quickly. In the end I was able to give them a CD with 116 shots that I downsized to 6 MP to make them more easily handled, but still suitable for up to 8x10 for prints if they wanted them.

I'm only guessing, but given my experience with each of the cameras, my K10 would not have focused at f6.3 indoors, the K20 would have struggled, but handled it, the K-7 would have struggle, but only slightly, and the K-5 had no problem. Any of the previous bodies would have required the flash with that lens. The K-7 and K20 would have required the faster glass and frequent lens changes (or multiple bodies). I was able to shoot the K-5 like a P&S in good light -- aperture wide open in Av, shutter and ISO determined by the camera. Moving outside I just kept the same setting and shot wide open with the ISO dropping to 80-125, and I was able to actually be as sociable as I cared to without constantly fiddling with gear.

Maybe not a typical "serious" photographic experience, but there's a point to it -- the K-5 makes just about everything I care to shoot quite a bit easier or more convenient. I have a lot more choices in the lens I use for a given situation, and I'm not tied to the fastest heaviest alternatives. My newly acquired DA 55-300 gets a lot of use because I can shoot it at f8-f10 and compensate with higher ISO rather than be forced to use the FA* 300/4.5 wide open just to get shutter speeds high enough to get acceptable results. Granted, I don't mind working on images in PP to get the results I want, and my standards for a lot of the stuff I shoot is not the highest, but being able to shoot at up to ISO 10,000 instead of strictly limiting it to 1250 has been a revelation to me.

High ISO is not the only thing. The difference in DR for serious shooting is startling. At just about any ISO, you can underexpose to preserve highlights and not worry about being able to bring up shadow detail in post without worrying much about noise. Not having to worry about destructive noise can really free your mind in a lot of ways that you don't really realize until you've experienced it.

Just adding my 2.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2011, 2:07 PM   #8

I'm like Ronny - this is a very hard question. It partly depends on how much the K200's limitations are irritating you, and whether those items are addressed by the K5. If there's nothing irritating you then the lens probably is the thing to get. However, after a while I know how those irritating limitations can get to the point of frustration and then the camera becomes the better purchase. In many ways the K5 is a huge upgrade and you'd love it. The camera must be selling quite well still - I would have thought the price would have started to fall more by now. On the other hand, perhaps Pentax is planning on keeping it in production longer than their usual cycle? I can think of several reasons why they might continue with it.

If you can swing the new camera, get it. I'm not convinced the price will drop that much this fall and the camera is really brilliant.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2011, 2:29 PM   #9

I like the K5 very much. I don't have one.

But I do have a Canon G 12 and one thing this little camera has that the K5 doesn't, but would really be a benefit, to me...is the flexible monitor.

I can swing it out and twist it (gently of course) about, I think 270 degrees.

Boy...the interesting picture angles I can get with this feature are just amazing.

Although I'm older, I'm still in relatively good shape, but to twist and contort and still see what's on a static monitor would be very difficult, no doubt painful.

Hopefully Pentax will have it out on the K5 replacement.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2011, 7:50 PM   #10

Default Hmmmm

I came on here tonight to ask about the K5, too. My husband asked me a few days ago what I wanted for my birthday so he doesn't have to guess. I told him what I wanted was too expensive, so just forget it. He kept prodding what I was thinking and I finally told him the K5, but stated it's still too much. (I, too, had been waiting for it to get to $1,000.)

He looked around some online and told me he found it for $1,100! Hmmm, had my interest! Only to find out that is the price for used ones. The lowest price at a place I'd be willing to purchase was around $1280. Still much more than I ever figured I'd pay for a body only.

A few days have gone by....... This morning he told me, "Okay, so your birthday present will be the K5 whenever it gets to a price you want to pay." Now that I've had a taste of it being in my hands, well almost, I was thinking I might be willing to pay more. And, then I come here to see this discussion of the price possibly not lowering any time soon.

My dilemma - Do I say "Okay, and it can be my anniversary present, too, which is 10 days later." But, he always complains about how much my camera equipment costs as compared to his. He's always buying old film cameras. If I hadn't heard others speculating that the price wouldn't drop any time soon, I would have been patient enough to wait a little longer.

But, he did say whenever it gets to a price you want to pay. So, I changed what my acceptable price was.

Oh, decisions, decisions.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote