Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 11, 2011, 7:13 PM   #1

Default Program Plus

I'm going to be trying my hand at some film photography soon. I picked up my father's Pentax Program Plus and his lenses yesterday. He passed away a week ago Saturday and it's never a good way to receive anything. However, he never really used it for many years so I'm happy to give it a new home and I really want to learn better technique by shooting film. I had a little trouble today trying to get it going, replaced the batteries and then found out that the whole compartment for the batteries was dirty in some way preventing proper operation of the camera. Now it's firing so it's all good. Gotta learn a whole different camera now. Not the same knobs and dials I'm used to on my K20D. At least the lenses haven't changed. I have found the aperture priority setting so I think I'm good to go. Anyone have any pointers for shooting film, I'm all ears/eyes. Your a great bunch here and I certainly value your opinion.
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2011, 7:42 PM   #2

My Program Plus, Me and P30 are lensless the Kr and K2000 are using them, I am so spoiled using digital I just can't imagine going back to film, then I scan some more of my old film and start thinking maybe, no I can't

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:

Last edited by hnikesch; Jul 11, 2011 at 10:27 PM.
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2011, 7:47 PM   #3

Well, I spoiled myself by starting in the digital world. I think shooting a little film might help me to understand my SLR better. I shot 604 photos at the airshow on Saturday... There's no way I could do that with film, gotta be more selective. And I could get some IR film and maybe try my hand at that some day without having to figure out how to do it with a digital camera. It's something to do and it means that the camera gets some use from time to time.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 10:19 PM   #4

I used a Super Program for 12 years and loved it. Always used Fuji 400 film-a lot easier now when you can change ISO at any time. Takes a while longer to compose shots. Back in the 90's a roll of 24 and double 4x6 prints cost about $15.00. Can't believe how much $$ I have saved-used to add at least $100 to the cost of a vacation. Takes patience to wait to see results-but it made me a much better photographer-have fun.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2011, 8:45 PM   #5

I'm sorry to hear about your father.

I got into Pentax because of my father. He was a big Pentax fan. Had a Pentax SV, K1000, ME Super and Super Program. When I got the K100d, he wasn't into using the SLR stuff anymore and gave me all his stuff.

If shooting film, and you don't want to pay so much for processing, you can have your local Walmart just process the film, but not make prints. (At my Walmart, the last time I did this, it was $2 per roll.) Then if I saw something that I thought turned out, I could scan the negative with my scanner. (If you have a scanner that can scan negatives.)

I was going to try to shoot some film last year, but when I pulled out my dad's ME Super and Super Program, neither were in working condition.

Take care!
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 8:34 AM   #6

That's too bad about the cameras not working. I have to admit that while my father owned an SLR, he didn't know how to use it. And my father had bad shaking all the time. Admittedly my mother bought him the camera because she wanted to get him a good camera which of course we see nowadays as well. It's unfortunate that the camera had to sit unused for so long but I'm glad it still works. I have since also found that the foam seals and mirror damper foam need to be replaced. It's a $10 kit that is cut specifically for this camera so it's no biggie. Once that's taken care of I'll be ready to start shooting.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 2:43 PM   #7

I had the mirror damper foam on my old ME go - couldn't figure it out at first (had these big black lines across the picture when I hadn't seen it in the viewfinder). I didn't know about getting a kit, I just took the loose foam off and it didn't seem to make much difference. Eventually the film advance died and I had to replace it (rather sadly, too - what great memories it provided me over the 20 plus years I used it).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2011, 3:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticdesigns View Post
If shooting film, and you don't want to pay so much for processing, you can have your local Walmart just process the film, but not make prints. (At my Walmart, the last time I did this, it was $2 per roll.) Then if I saw something that I thought turned out, I could scan the negative with my scanner. (If you have a scanner that can scan negatives.)
That is a cool idea, at $2 it's affordable, I have been scanning some of my old neg's anyway. I still have several thousand B&W neg's to scan. But I really like my Kr, what to do, shoot the old bodies, my Tamron 70-300 will work on my Me Super Program too. Too many choices.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2011, 3:22 PM   #9

Well, today I got the seal replacement kit so I now the camera is all set and ready to go. I loaded it up with some film and this first roll will just be some experimentation shots really. I want to shoot some film because I want to learn to be more selective/patient and learn a little better how to take pictures. It's too easy with digital to find myself firing off multiple shots and hoping that one of the 4 or 5 turns out the way I wanted. It's more of a chance to hone my abilities. I never shot film before I went to the DSLR so I don't have that experience that others already had. It's way for me to regress if you will.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 6:00 PM   #10

Sorry to hear of your loss.

I love film though, I bought a super-zoom with manual functions then a Pentax K1000 to move onto "proper" photography before I bought my K10D and still use film to this day. I have about 19 film cameras and have one in my camera bag at all times. One thing I have noticed though is these days, I tend to go for "safe" shots with my film cameras. I'm not sure if it's due to the cost or lack of convenience that film offers, but I'm less creative, probably because I am spoiled by the instant return of digital photography now.
Tamron Adaptall 2 - 28mm, 28-80mm, 500mm Mirror
Pentax KAF - 18-55mm WR, 28-105mm PowerZoom
Pentax K - 50mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 28mm f/2.2
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote