Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:41 AM   #1

Default New Lens - Anti-telephoto

I sold my Pentax 12-24mm and 16-45mm lenses and purchased a Sigme 8-16mm lens. This is a rectilinear lens, not a fish-eye. It is slightly longer then the Pentax 12-24mm but is narrower and fits in the camera bag easier. The lens shield is built in and stationery and is the same width as the lens, the lens moves in and out changing the effect of the hood as you zoom. the 8mm is zoomed out the closest to the end of the lens. Yesterday was my first day in the field with this lens. The lighting is not what I would want for ideal use and I will need some practice in getting the most out of this lenses perspective. Photos are in Green Cay Wetlands.

Ed

K5, Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6
Attached Images

snooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2011, 1:04 PM   #2
daz

This is a surprisingly good lens but there are some things to learn that can help. First look out for Perspective Distortion. Unless you are looking for it if you don't hold the camera absolutely perpendicular to the object you are photographing Perspective Distortion will jump out at you. That is OK if that is what you want but you can get it with out even trying. Next because the lens is so wide it is extremely easy to have objects in the frame that you can end up over exposing. You can also have scenes with a lot of dynamic range. This means that when you expose so that you don't have the high end blown the overall photo can look dark. If you use a little curve (or some other way) and bring up the dark end the photos look more natural.

DAZ
Painting is an additive art. The artist adds to the canvas until they stop with their version of reality. Digital photography is subtractive art. First we throw away 90 percent of reality then remove what is left bit by bit until we have only the reality we wish to show. Flickr is like fun. PPG is like work. A camera is a machine of light and time with the purpose of capturing a luminous moment. Like the eye it is a tool of the mind.
daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 2:54 PM   #3

Quote:
First look out for Perspective Distortion. Unless you are looking for it if you don't hold the camera absolutely perpendicular to the object you are photographing Perspective Distortion will jump out at you.
Long objects approaching the camera at an angle will be stretched out of proportion as well. Also keep the camera level or the image will keystone like crazy.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 7:47 PM   #4

And I thought the 12-24 was an ultra-wide! Had never even heard of an 8-16... Will look forward to seeing more amazing landscapes from you & your new lens!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2011, 9:25 AM   #5

I was reading about this lens recently and some of the advice was contrary to that given here (I don't have the lens and have never tried it so from a personal standpoint I can't advise) they were actually saying don't hold the lens at 90 degrees to the ground but point it up slightly if you want to keep straight lines perpendicular in architectural shots. I think some trial and error shots would be appreciated and interesting to see - get to work Ed !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2011, 11:24 AM   #6
daz

We are all talking the same thing here (just different parts of the elephant) perspective distortion. Perspective distortion is one of the more important (on par with DOF) but less understood parts of photograph by most photographers. Without a good understanding of PD you can't real understand the concept of a “normal” lens (and why you should care) or why some lenses are considered better for portraits. Like DOF it can help you tell a story. I do own this lens and do have many examples but this is Snooked's post so he gets to show it off.

DAZ
Painting is an additive art. The artist adds to the canvas until they stop with their version of reality. Digital photography is subtractive art. First we throw away 90 percent of reality then remove what is left bit by bit until we have only the reality we wish to show. Flickr is like fun. PPG is like work. A camera is a machine of light and time with the purpose of capturing a luminous moment. Like the eye it is a tool of the mind.
daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2011, 2:49 PM   #7

The 8-16mm makes it easier to get some spectacular PD compared to the 10-20mm or 12-24mm. I traded in a Sigma 10-20mm on the 8-16mm in March this year and also have some PD disasters but I do agree with Daz that posting them here would hijack Snooked's post.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 6:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Nichol View Post
The 8-16mm makes it easier to get some spectacular PD compared to the 10-20mm or 12-24mm. I traded in a Sigma 10-20mm on the 8-16mm in March this year and also have some PD disasters but I do agree with Daz that posting them here would hijack Snooked's post.
I welcome examples and ideas of how to best use this lens.

Ed
snooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 7:28 AM   #9

Looks like a great lens, and a good first shot with it.
A lot wider than my 10-20 and even more than your 12-24.
Congrats

Ronny
Old Jul 25, 2011, 5:42 PM   #10

Took out the Gorillapod and clamped it to a corner of the railing to snap this with the 8mm end of the 8-16mm lens. The railings should be at right angles, the house shouldn't look like the prow of a boat and the wall between the corner and the door isn't that long.
Attached Images