Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 8, 2011, 6:43 AM   #1

Default Cathedral Notre Dame Strasbourg

Hey all,
I was able to snap a few pictures from the Cathedral Notre Dame in Strasbourg (France). If you are interested, please be my guest here --> http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ar...trasbourg.html

Yours,
Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2011, 6:01 PM   #2

Great work on both interiors and exteriors. Are these HDR? Which lens(es) were used?
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2011, 10:09 PM   #3

Very nice photos! The interior shots especially impress me - the fact you managed both the stained glass and detail of the stone-work. What a beautiful church!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2011, 3:10 AM   #4

Good morning,
and thanks for the kind words

@mole
Yes, these are HDR. It was quite dark in the church, even about noon. On the other hand the windows were lit by the strong sunlight. I wasn't able to find a setting to capture both the windows and the interiors with a single shot. After some experimenting I settled on a -4/-1/+2 bracketing series using my K-r and the old 18-55mm kit lens from my DL2. Hand held shots, no tripod etc. - there were lot's of visitors in the cathedral and I only had a few moments for each shot.

I like your question "are these HDR?" - it seems that I haven't done too much in the postprocessing process then. Of course a slight artificial look can't be avoided as the camera will see things differently compared to your unarmed eye.

And yes - I need a wider lens than those 18mm. Sigh.

@mtngal
I especially liked the windows here - the different scenes they show, the colors and so on. On the other hand the whole room (to say so) created the feeling, not just the windows. I like to take these moments with me, that special feeling. That's why I tried to include everything in one image and did not take different shots of the interior, the windows etc. (with very few exceptions). I added another image here - when I saw that scenery for the first time I just stopped walking and stood there for some time. This was probably the brightest area of the whole church and it's left from the altar area.

Now look at the stained glass, the small candles, the old dark oil painting and whatever-there-is in back of the closed area. People usually stand there and light up the small candles, but (lucky me) I was able to do the bracketing shot just in time before another person entered my field of view .

Biggest problem with the interior is the high ISO btw. As I hand-held the shots, I was thankful for the 12800 or 25600 the camera choosed for the +2EV shots, but of course these shots for the darker areas lack detail. Color reproduction, on the other hand, was really good!

regards,
Th.
Attached Images

Old Aug 9, 2011, 3:29 AM   #5

Here's a tight crop of the old oil painting, taken from the previous image. No histogram adjustments made. It's really amazing, what you can do with the K-r and those bracket shots

You can see the artefacts from image stacking at the small candles, though . But then - the flames moved all the time - what could you do to avoid these?

Th.
Attached Images

Old Aug 9, 2011, 10:14 PM   #6

Very impressive indeed! You might try a second layer with one that has the candles as you want and then do a layer mask to block out everything except the candles, letting the HDR layer show through - I'll often combine non HDR bits with the composite picture. You sure get clean images from the KR, but then we already knew how good that sensor is.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 8:26 PM   #7

Wow, these are remarkable images. I haven't played around very much (yet) with HDR, so it's all a bit of a mystery to me. But you did a wonderful job of capturing the grandeur of that cathedral.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2011, 6:06 AM   #8

@mtngal
thanks for that postprocessing idea - I'll try that later when all the other images were processed, which still needs a while

@mtnman
Thank you! The HDR basic idea is quite simple and it's fun and satisfying to see how you can overcome some of your camera's limits. Give it a try! Just start slow with some bracketing shots or even in-camera HDR (if your camera has such a thing). There are quite some experts here in the forum, so if you got questions - I am sure they can be answered.

Th.