Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 8, 2011, 7:43 PM   #1

Default Mostly Butterflies

Have been far from electronics for past week or so, and so unable to "stop by" here. Have far too many photos to post, but will try to control myself!

These hot, humid late-summer East Tennessee days are perfect for roaming the hills in search of butterflies and such. Many late-season blooms are rich with nectar these days, and become "butterfly magnets."

Here are two different species of Skippers enjoying Swamp Milkweed nectar:
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2011, 7:46 PM   #2

And several views of a Monarch working the Swamp Milkweed (which pose do you prefer?)
Attached Images

Old Aug 8, 2011, 7:51 PM   #3

Even the Junebugs and Hummingbird Moths find sustenance in these milkweeds.
And of course the Milkweed Bugs are "hanging out" there too...
Attached Images

Old Aug 8, 2011, 7:57 PM   #4

Teasel flowers are also full of butterflies these days. Our little Hummingbird Moth found some competition for teasel nectar from the Zebra Swallowtail and the Tiger Swallowtails...
Attached Images

Old Aug 8, 2011, 8:02 PM   #5

Not all Tiger Swallowtails are tiger-colored! Sometimes the females are nearly black. These (along with Spicebush Swallowtails and Black Swallowtails) are mimicking the (very bad-tasting) Pipevine Swallowtails. Here's a dark female Tiger Swallowtail on a teasel bloom, and, for comparison, a Pipevine Swallowtail. We usually see the Pipevine Swallowtails only at higher elevations (where their host plant - dutchman's pipevine - grows), but this one was an unusual visitor - at a roadside near my (low elevation) home. (What do you think, does that old A 70-210 do a good job with the bigger butterflies?)
Attached Images

Old Aug 8, 2011, 8:07 PM   #6

Of course, not all the butterflies are at the nectar sources. Here's a Common Buckeye taking a sip of "mineral water" on an old gravel road, a Carolina Satyr hiding in the tall field, and a PawPaw Sphinx Moth caterpillar having a fine leafy lunch...
Attached Images

Old Aug 8, 2011, 8:11 PM   #7

There's plenty more to post, but this is probably about enough for one thread. Will start another thread with some more East Tennessee August bugs and scenes.

Hope you enjoyed these bright little late-summer insects, and will share your comments, critique & suggestions.

(PS - I will again be away from electronics for about a week or so, and unable to respond to your comments until later. Thanks in advance!!)
Attached Images

Old Aug 8, 2011, 11:57 PM   #8

Your butterflies are always so inspiring! Yes, the A 70-210 sure does a good job on them.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 9:47 PM   #9

Ditto what Harriet said. I've never seen a zebra swallowtail; am I correct in assuming that they do now come up to northern New England? Knowing that the dark female tiger swallowtail and the Pipevine swallowtail are separate species, I can see the differences. But if I saw those two butterflies in the field, I would surely assume they were the same species!
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2011, 4:26 PM   #10

Good job!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote