Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 14, 2011, 8:44 PM   #1

Default Monterey Bay Aquarium

Took at trip to the Monterey Bay Aquarium in California. Huge tanks filled with all kinds of sea life. Much more than shown. Worth an entire day. Great hands on kids stuff. Tough getting sharp shots through the glass. 1. The main tank. 2. Jelly fish tank. 3. Second large tank. 4. Tide pool simulator.
Attached Images

pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2011, 9:02 PM   #2

Beautiful! Did you use a polarizer for the glass?

The Monterey Bay Aquarium was my mom's favorite place. I could never go there, because huge walls of water scare me to death.
JeannieBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2011, 10:32 PM   #3

One of my very favorite places! I recognize those jelly fish, have taken pictures there a couple of times. I'd love to get up there again with the K5. Your pictures are very nice - well done under difficult conditions.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:59 AM   #4

Very nice, pboerger.
I can still remember my trip there as a small lad. Bet its changed somewhat since then!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:51 AM   #5

Thanks folks. We watched it grow through the years and it has changed a lot since it opened. It's a very worthwhile trip if you are going that way.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2011, 3:07 PM   #6

pboerger,

Moterey bay is one of my favorites places, I miss the pier, sotch a good restaurants. The canary road, the Kelps close to the Monterey acuarium, the sea otters.

What a memory....

Thanks Pboerger for bringing back so meny good times I had in Monterey...

Is the guy with the Monkey asking for money, still around the Pier?
Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro Autofocus
http://razzi.me/zuken
Zuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2011, 3:56 PM   #7

Great shots, I really like the 2nd one, you are giving me some ideas for my up coming trip to the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago. I looked but all your exif is gone, I am trying to decide what lenses to bring.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:38 PM   #8

Lens selection is somewhat difficult. The last aquarium I took pictures in (Birch Aquarium, Scripps Institute of Oceanography, UCSD) I used the K5 and DA 35 macro almost exclusively and they worked very well together. I have also tried the manual focus Viv 105 macro, but found it was often too long if you have the camera right up next to the glass, to try to cut out the glare (that's pretty easy at Monterey), and almost impossible to see the focus. I had the K20 when I was in Monterey last time, used the DA 12-24, and DA*50-135 mostly. While some (most?) came out very well (you can see the album starting at http://mtngal.zenfolio.com/p917425372/e2e98acf4 ), I didn't get as many keepers as I had when using an old Sony F717 (with its hologram focus assist). The greatest problem I had with the K20 was keeping the shutter speeds fast enough. I had far less trouble with the K5 because I could use higher ISO. You'd be able to do the same thing with the KR. I posted some of the Birch Aquarium pictures here (January? something like that) or you can see the album starting at http://mtngal.zenfolio.com/p1024220954/e3f7bbba0 if you are interested. If you look at the Monterey album, you'll find several pictures that are very similar to Paul's photos. I don't think they had the tide pool simulator when I was in Monterey - that looks like GREAT fun - want to check that out. Love that shot, too.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2011, 8:09 AM   #9

Thanks Harriett, you got a lot of keepers and some great shots. Your albums gave me more ideas and a better understanding what to expect at an aquarium. Looks like I will have to use my kit 18-55 and maybe my 28 or 50 both manual if I need more light. I need to expand the wide end of my lenses with some better glass, now that I think of it's not just the wide end that needs help. Thanks for your help.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2011, 3:52 PM   #10

Pboerger - some really fine photos - great color and composition, and they really tell the story well!

Harriet - lots of great advice - thanks! Will have to try it at the Chattanooga Aquarium one of these days...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote