Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 18, 2011, 9:40 PM   #1

Default What would you do part II

Remember I am the guy who won enough points to get a free K5 or Pentax lens. Decided on K5 and it is on its way. I have to much stuff I donít use around so here comes round II of what would you do.

I am a geek who loves equipment but really only shoots family type stuff.

I have

1) Mint shape istDL
2) Great shape 10K with battery grip and extra battery
3) film based MX and 5n
4) af-360 flash
5) OK shape manual M 28MM 2.8
6) Good shape manual m 50 1.7

7) Mint Tamaron 90mm SP DI Macro
8) poor shape but works fa 80-320mm 4.5
9) great shape DA 40mm 2.8
10) Great shape Pentax DA fisheye
11) (2) DA 18-55 Kit lens
12) Mint shape DA 50-200 5.6
13) New Pentax Pentax SMC DA 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 ED AL (IF) DC WR Lens

I want to jettison some equipment. Want to get down to maybe 5 lenses and two bodies. (if I can )

I will give the unused to my son if he wants them or the local art center for those unable to buy any equipment.

again what would you do.

Keep everything is not an option
Bowenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2011, 12:44 AM   #2

It sounds like you have it figured out pretty well.....

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:05 AM   #3

Cameras - I guess it makes more sense to hang onto the K10 over the DL, but personally, I always preferred the DS/K100 (the 6 mp sensor) over the K10's sensor. If you ever decide to get creative and buy a Hoya R72 filter you'd be able to take IR photos with the DL, I don't think the K10 works any better than the K5 does (it doesn't). The K10 has more features, the DL is fun to put in P mode and let the camera do the rest (a lot less complicated, fewer things that can go wrong). As a disclaimer, I kept the K100 and sold my K20 when I bought the K5.

Keep the flash, you might not use it all that much, but there's just too many times (especially indoors for family stuff) that it's necessary.

I think I'd probably sell the M28 2.8 lens - these lenses seem to have high resale value and while its nice to have a fast wide-angle, I find f4 for a wide angle good enough for most of my stuff. Coupled with the K5's increased ISO range, you might find you don't need it at all.

I love my old M50 1.7, sharp lens. Hardly ever use it, but it's small and light, very sharp so it's not like it takes up a lot of room. I'd keep that one tucked away in a corner (mine is).

Keep the Tamron macro - awesome lens, convenient focal length.

The fisheye is a specialty lens - if your son would like it, give it to him with the understanding you can borrow it back if you want. It's too much fun to lose complete control over, but probably something you could live without.

I'd most likely keep the 18-135 and pass on the two kit lenses. My personal copy of the 50-200 was lousy so that's one I would pass on, but you said your 80-320 is in poor shape. Also, the 50-200 doesn't offer much more than the 18-135, while the 80-320 adds a whole lot on the telephoto end.

So what makes sense to me to keep:

DL
AF-360
M50 1.7 (sentimental and it's nice to have a lens you can do all kinds of other things with, otherwise perhaps pass this one on too)
Tamron 90 Macro
DA 40
DA 18-135 WR
Probably the FA80-320, but perhaps the 50-200 depending on if the FA is sharp enough to hang onto.

That's 4 or 5 lenses (depending on if you are as sentimental about the M50 1.7 as I am, with the DA 40 you don't really NEED it).

Give the K10 and the fisheye to your son, with the understanding that you can borrow the fisheye back once in a while. Also the kit lens, the other telephoto and the M28 2.8 if he wants it (otherwise sell it).

Now what would I do? I'd keep it all, you never know when you are going to want a piece of equipment. It's not a big deal if it's in a drawer out of sight. None of the lenses are very big, they don't have to live in the camera bag. I'd keep it all.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:11 AM   #4

If it's only family type stuff (and no macro per se) then :

1) Mint shape istDL KEEP AS BACK-UP - Good camera to keep as purely a back-up and also has TTL to use with M42 lenses etc. (K10D has P-TTL so can't meter for them).
2) Great shape 10K with battery grip and extra battery SELL (you'll get a lot more than the istDL)
3) film based MX and 5n SELL
4) af-360 flash KEEP
5) OK shape manual M 28MM 2.8 SELL (Not a great lens - I have one - and the kit lens is probably as good at 28mm).
6) Good shape manual m 50 1.7 SELL (you have this FL covered already unless you want to keep it for low light using CIF for the family) ?
7) Mint Tamron 90mm SP DI Macro SELL (great lens but wasted if you're not using it for macro).
8) poor shape but works fa 80-320mm 4.5 KEEP (not a great lens but you won't get much for it even in prime condition but gives you 300+ which none of your other lenses come close to).
9) great shape DA 40mm 2.8 KEEP (great walkaround prime) !!
10) Great shape Pentax DA fisheye SELL (unless you are really creatively into the fisheye look).
11) (2) DA 18-55 Kit lens KEEP ONE SELL ONE (excellent kit lens and it has WR).
12) Mint shape DA 50-200 5.6 KEEP or SELL (whatever you want to do - don't really need it) !
13) New Pentax Pentax SMC DA 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 ED AL (IF) DC WR Lens KEEP

Those aren't what I'd personally do because I'm not in your situation - but it's what I'd do if I were. And it will give you some leeway to go and get something else !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC

Last edited by Frogfish; Aug 19, 2011 at 10:19 AM.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2011, 11:48 AM   #5

Fun responses ... very interesting feedback. Keep it coming .... it underscores the knowlege of this forum.
Bowenp is offline   Reply With Quote