Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 19, 2011, 4:47 PM   #11

I am not really enthusiastic on the A*300 images, but the first night and blue heron images as well as the vulture are amazing. (sidenote: I still think I miss some very basic stuff on your pp routines...)

I am pretty sure, that I never took bird images of that quality, so I am quite envious. Very well done!

I also think, that lenses "behave" different on my DL2 and my K-r, but CA's seem to be almost the same for the non-DA lenses. Maybe due to the much better color stability also in higher ISO ranges I sometimes feel, that there are less CA's in K-r images, though.

Kind regards,
Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2011, 5:55 PM   #12

Hi mole,

I found the Sony 10 MP sensor on the K10 (the "same" sensor on the Km) to produce more CA/PF than the 6MP Sony sensor in the DS. I posted two example pics in a thread quite a while ago:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...nual-lens.html

The post is about half way down on the page.

I consistently found the K10 to exhibit more color aberrations than any of the other bodies I've owned, using the same lens combinations. There are those who maintain that CA/PF is totally dependent on the lens, but I obviously disagree. I'm glad to see that someone else has noticed the same.

As to why this is, I really can't venture a guess, but I'm sure it happens. . .

On the positive side for the 10 MP Sony CCD sensor -- at base ISO, it produced the cleanest images of any of the bodies I"ve owned, though this fell apart very quickly as ISO was raised.

Some great Heron captures. It's always really satisfying to put them up on the computer monitor and see that the shots actually were at least as good as you thought when you took them.

I can't imagine carrying that lens and your tripod more than a couple of yards, so even more kudos for that. . .

Nice work!

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2011, 9:25 PM   #13

There are quite a few who say that both CA and purple fringing can be influenced by the sensor. I personally haven't particularly noticed that though.

That sounds like a whole lot of work - such a huge lens! I start thinking about getting something super-long and get envious when I see pictures posted taken with them (yours, for example). However, then I get realistic and forget about it - I'll never be able to drag something like that around for very long, so I'd rarely use it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2011, 8:04 AM   #14

Phil - Thank you so much for your kind words and helpful feedback!

Th - My copy of the A*300 has a very scratched front element. Images are fine when stopped down a bit, but the scratches make it a bit more difficult to manual focus. Sometimes good images, sometimes not so...
So glad you enjoyed the photos taken with the 135-600. Really not a lot of PP here, just wonderful location & subjects, and really nice early morning light. Thanks also for your comments/input about varying responses of your different cameras...

Scott - Thanks for the link to the CA discussion - very interesting!
Thanks also for your kind words about my bird images - coming from an expert like you, that is indeed high praise!
As far as the portability of this lens - definitely not one I would take backpacking, but have taken it down some shorter (just a few mile) trails. Biggest problem is lack of weather sealing - it sure won't fit in my knapsack when the rain moves in - so I always need to check weather forecast carefully before heading on out...

Harriet - Really not so much work. True that I don't use it that often, but sure am glad to have it when time permits and appropriate subjects are available...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2011, 4:44 PM   #15

That is one heck of an impressive (both quality and size) lens. Probably not a a walkabout lens

Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2011, 6:34 AM   #16

Good photos all around, Mole.
Its funny but, in the 20+ years I've lived here I've only seen a BCNH one time.
I got a shot of him but, not near as nice as yours.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2011, 12:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
...and really nice early morning light....
Hm,
if the early morning light helps for such photo's I have to get up earlier!
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2011, 7:04 PM   #18

Keith - Not one to walk about with camera strap around the neck!!! But really not too bad to carry (on the tripod) down the trail. Just have to plan carefully for weather, and to avoid slippery areas, deep creek crossings, off-trail hikes, etc.

GW - BCN Herons are rather numerous here, especially during the summertime, but usually extremely shy. Had to do some very slow stalking to get close enough to this one. Tried again this morning early, but the light was all wrong, and then I stepped on a twig, and that little noise was enough to scare them all away...

Th - Saw your spider photos - glad you enjoyed the morning light!!
Old Aug 26, 2011, 2:55 AM   #19

600mm sure does get you close !

Really like the detail in the BCNH .. and that Great Blue definitely seems to have his eye on you no matter how far away you were ! The 135-600 seems much better at resolving detail than the A*300 from these few shots.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2011, 8:09 PM   #20

Kevin - It does get you close, but still works better closer rather than farther.

The apparent better resolving power is probably because the A*300 shots were heavily cropped, but the 135-600 were just about full size (minor cropping for composition purposes only).