Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 23, 2011, 9:34 PM   #1

Default sorry mtmgal no coffe mug for 1st pic

I love this camera so far (been 3 hours but....)
It is so different from the 10K in the way it operates very cool. This time I am committed to learning how to run it. As always time will tell on that one :

Having upload problems but here is one (the only one a can upload without it failing)
Attached Images

Bowenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2011, 8:11 AM   #2

Great looking dog ! Congrats on your wonderful new camera.

p.s. I always like to see what lens / camera was used for each shot !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 8:57 AM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowenp View Post
Having upload problems but here is one (the only one a can upload without it failing)
You need to downsize your photos first. ;-)

When you use the paperclip icon to attach an image to a post, you'll see the maximum allowed sizes for each file type on the Manage Attachments screen that comes up (where you browse for a photo and upload it).

For JPEG image files, to stay within those maximum allowed sizes, you'll need to make sure that images are downsized so that the longest side is no longer than 1024 pixels, and the file size is no larger than 253.9KB.

If you exceed those maximum allowed sizes for either dimensions or file size, the forums software will attempt to make the image "fit" anyway by downsizing and recompressing the image. But, that will result in softer images because the compression algorithms leave something to be desired, and the forums software will also strip out the EXIF information from the image metadata (so that you can't see the camera settings that were used). I can tell that happened image attached to that post (the forums software recompressed it because it exceeded the maximum allowed sizes).

But, sometimes the forums software will fail to downsize and recompress an image so that it fits (because of the preset values being used by the compression software libraries) and the upload will fail (which is probably what happened with your other attempts). I sometimes see that when members try to upload a full size image from their camera.

So, for more than one reason (including showing better quality images), it's a good idea to resize your images so that they are within the maximum allowed sizes for both dimensions and file size before you try to attach them to a post here. With most image editors, if you resize an image so that the longest side is around 800 pixels, then save it using a JPEG Quality Setting of around 80% (or 8 if your software uses a 1 to 10/12 type scale), that should keep it so that it's within the maximum allowed file size of 260,000 bytes (approx. 253.9KB)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 11:45 AM   #4

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Nice looking subject.

However, the image seems soft (perhaps a result of the compression that Jim refers to above) and low in contrast. I think there is more potential in the K5 and lens combo that can be exploited.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:33 PM   #5

Your puppy dog is a much better subject than a coffee mug! I'm using a not very good monitor at work that makes everything look a little soft, so I can't tell. But Jim's advice is excellent - if you want to use something larger you'll have to upload to another photo hosting site and link from there (and many of the free ones will downsize your picture and strip out the exif info also).

Glad to hear that you like the interface. I loved it from the beginning though there were times I got frustrated because things weren't necessarily where I thought they should be. But it didn't take long to adjust and now I get frustrated when I use my K100 for some reason.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:51 PM   #6

Thanks I will fix the upload and be more careful. In terms of the soft aspect used a Tamaron 90MM for the pic set at Green mode at JPEG. No processing just out of the camera. Thanks for the feedback will try diffrent settings to sharpen it up.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 9:21 PM   #7

Very nice looking dog! Congrats on the new camera -- I definitely want to get a K5 at some point.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2011, 9:40 AM   #8

Ok got mixed up on how I took it. exposure time 1/125; app at 7.1; shutter priority setting; 135mm range from Pentax 18-135 lens; ISO 100.

no other custom settings. When I look at the picture on my computer it seems just as soft as what you see but I love her (the dog) anyway

What software should I use to re-size pictures to post without issues? Looking for shareware if possible.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 11:03 AM   #9

Congratulations on your new camera!

Regarding sharpness - there is enough detail from what I see to "push up" the sharpness in this image to a higher level if needed. Depends on what you want/prefer.

As for resizing: many free2use tools to choose from starting with image viewers like irfanview, followed by some more complex tools like PhotoFiltre or ImageAnalyzer and of course the "fat guys" like GIMP.

Based on personal experience I'd suggest ImageAnalyzer. You get some nice resizing algorithms, deconvolution (sharpening), local contrast enhancement (details), and some basic noise reduction plus auto-correction tools (color for example). Good to start with. Doesn't need high end hardware. Link: http://meesoft.logicnet.dk/Analyzer/

Good luck,
Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2011, 11:06 AM   #10

thanks