Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 26, 2011, 6:35 PM   #1

Default Ordered k5

Well, I ordered my K5 from B/H Photo tonight. Should be here on 9-1. Can't wait to get it. How different is this camera from the K7 in terms of color rendition? My main reason for selling the K7 is I wanted improved dynamic range, and lower noise at 1600 iso. I was getting so tired of blown out highlights, and black shadows. I'm really hoping this is greatly improved. Aside from the iso, and dynamic range, what are the other improvements that really make a difference?
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2011, 10:50 PM   #2

The pictures just have a "look" to them that's different. It's hard to explain and it is probably related to the increased dynamic range. The white balance is slightly different (I've found that with all of the Pentax cameras I've purchased - none of them are the same). I shoot raw mostly so the various color settings (natural, bright, vivid, monochrome) don't affect my pictures. I think the exposure bracketing is larger, but I'm not sure - since you can recoup so much from the shadows I don't feel inclined to do exposure bracketing for HDR much anymore.

Looking forward to your first shots and thoughts. It doesn't have to be a coffee mug.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2011, 10:53 PM   #3

Now that I ordered my K5, I'm realizing that a rather large group of people on other forms are complaining about this mirror flop thing. How wide spread is this. Seems like lately it's always something with Pentax. I'm wondering if I should cancel my order right now?
Old Aug 27, 2011, 11:23 AM   #4

That mirror flip thing happens when you've got a mirror. So any and all other dslrs have the same problem. Your k7 had it to, if you didn't notice it there you wont notice it here.
And when the mirror flip isn't the problem then its the vibrations of the curtain that does the exposure.

It's just measurbaters at work, doing their thing, so don't worry.

If you never read Ken Rockwells 7 levels of photographers http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/7.htm

Last edited by rhermans; Aug 27, 2011 at 11:27 AM.
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2011, 11:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhermans View Post
That mirror flip thing happens when you've got a mirror. So any and all other dslrs have the same problem. Your k7 had it to, if you didn't notice it there you wont notice it here.
And when the mirror flip isn't the problem then its the vibrations of the curtain that does the exposure.

It's just measurbaters at work, doing their thing, so don't worry.

If you never read Ken Rockwells 7 levels of photographers http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/7.htm
No Actually this is not the issue the issue is a lot of K5's are firing the mirror at random, not actually taking pictures, just actuating the mirror. Some people have it doing this while pressing other buttons. See this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV3R2YXKCyM

A lot of people are complaining about this on Pentax forms.com
Old Aug 27, 2011, 12:11 PM   #6

Sorry thought about the other 'mirror' problem.

I haven't had any problems with that, anybody else here ?
Old Aug 27, 2011, 12:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony3dd View Post
No Actually this is not the issue the issue is a lot of K5's are firing the mirror at random, not actually taking pictures, just actuating the mirror. Some people have it doing this while pressing other buttons. See this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV3R2YXKCyM

A lot of people are complaining about this on Pentax forms.com
Yes, but also on the Pentax Forums they believe that they have isolated the problem to be voltage related and apparently CRIS has a fix.

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2011, 1:38 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony3dd View Post
...My main reason for selling the K7 is I wanted improved dynamic range, and lower noise at 1600 iso. I was getting so tired of blown out highlights, and black shadows. I'm really hoping this is greatly improved.
I'd always take these types of tests with a "grain of salt". But, on the surface when looking a RAW files, the K-5 is going to have several stops better dynamic range when shooting RAW (a huge difference in favor of the K-5). Noise is also significantly lower with the newer K-5.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-cameras-side-by-side/%28appareil1%29/676|0/%28brand%29/Pentax/%28appareil2%29/615|0/%28brand2%29/Pentax

Of course, the photos may not be very likeable without applying tone curves to improve contrast (which will reduce DR in order to give images more "pop"), which is one reason to take those kinds of tests with a grain of salt, since RAW files converted without any processing for better test measurements may look very "flat".
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2011, 5:13 PM   #9

I haven't had any problems with the mirror issue, but if it's really voltage related I probably wouldn't - I rotate my batteries so whatever I'm putting in the camera has been in my bag for days or weeks. It seems to me to be a fairly small percentage of cameras affected. I did buy an extended warranty, just in case (probably the reason why I haven't had any problems with this replacement camera).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2011, 6:19 PM   #10

I kept my 55-300DA when I sold my K7. that lens is pretty decent. Looking forward to see what it does on my K5.