Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 31, 2011, 9:21 AM   #11

I stopped taking my DSLR on vacations a long tiime ago. I watched a guy with a DSLR at Disneyland with his family go through all the machinations a DSLR can provide, thoroughly boring his family to death to as he set up the shot. If you know how to use the camera, point and shoots can provide all you need for family shots without the weight, hassle or setup of a DSLR. On a recent trip back east, I took a Panasonic FZ 35 and a Canon SD 4000 IS. The Canon simply lived on my belt and I never knew it was there until I needed. The FZ35 slung around my back with hardly any weight at all. Below are three examples. FZ35 panorama from the Empire State Building, the Canon in Times Square and inside the Metropolitan Museum of Art. For web viewing or small family prints, I couldn't ask for more.
Attached Images

pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2011, 10:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboerger View Post
I watched a guy with a DSLR at Disneyland with his family go through all the machinations a DSLR can provide, thoroughly boring his family to death to as he set up the shot. If you know how to use the camera, point and shoots can provide all you need for family shots without the weight, hassle or setup of a DSLR.
You could also say, if that guy knew how to use his DSLR he wouldn't have been hassling his family.

Any dslr can be used as a point and shoot, and if you invest the time any current p&s can deliver stunning results. I just feel better using the k-5 than my backup pana-fz5, or my daughters pana fs30.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 3:32 PM   #13

I always take my K5 with me on vacations but I'm usually going somewhere I'll want it. If I don't want a lot of weight, I'll take the camera and the two FA limiteds I have, its as light-weight as an ultrazoom.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote