Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 5, 2011, 4:59 PM   #1

Default K5 liveview exit issue

Hi, I was out shooting today with my K5 to try, and duplicate the liveview problem I was having. What happens is after so many shots upon exiting liveview, the camera will begin to make a whirring type sound, and become non-responsive to any button presses including turning the power off! It happens just once in a while. After removing the battery, then replacing it all is fine. This only occurs while using Liveview. Most of the time it exits Liveview just fine. My friend suggested it may just need to break in. I know in about 275 shots, it happened 3 or 4 times. Not all were Liveview shots though. As I said it never happens with the viewfinder, only in Liveview. Focus, exposures everything else is fine including the virtual levels, They are right on! I'm calling Pentax tomorrow, but I'm just curious what another K5 will do. Have you tested your liveview completely? Could someone do me a favor, and take several Liveview shots to see how the exit works. When is does happen, it can occur upon exiting by either pressing the LV button, or by pressing the Play button. Looking forward to seeing your results. I'm just wondering if this is some kind of firmware bug? Everything else on the camera is perfect. If someone else's does it even once, that would tell me nothing is wrong. I hate to send it in for an exchange if I don't have to. I do have an exchange already setup with B/H, yes they are open today. They will pay shipping as well. With everything else being so perfect including no mirror flops, sensor stains, or FF-BF problems I just hate to take the chance of getting something worse. Maybe Pentax may be aware of this, and firmware fix is all it needs.
Thanks.
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2011, 5:00 PM   #2

It sure seems fine now. Even went out in the hot Florida sun, set it on a patio chair in the sun for 15 minutes. Tried shooting in, and out of Liveview with no problems. I'm now going to let it rest, and try later.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 5:39 PM   #3

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony3dd View Post
My friend suggested it may just need to break in. Thanks.
No such thing as a "break-in" period for electronic items. Sounds to me like there is a problem with the camera. If I were you, frustrating as it sounds, I would send it in for an exchange or a return for refund before the 14 day window with B&H expires.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2011, 6:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
No such thing as a "break-in" period for electronic items. Sounds to me like there is a problem with the camera. If I were you, frustrating as it sounds, I would send it in for an exchange or a return for refund before the 14 day window with B&H expires.
Well the mirror is a mechanical device right? It may be sticking from time to time. Thing is it's getting better not worse. I haven't been able to reproduce in last 68 tries.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 9:43 AM   #5

Tony -
agree with jelpee. No break-in for electronics unless we are talking stereo speakers. I have not experienced the issue on my new 5K nor seen it posted (truth be told I don't use live-view very often at all). Since cameras are based on silicon chips like computers it is possible to have an intermittent problem that only shows up when some event occurs (heat, hitting the cycle perfect etc) and may be specific to that camera. I would personally send it back for replacement.
Bowenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2011, 10:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowenp View Post
Tony -
agree with jelpee. No break-in for electronics unless we are talking stereo speakers. I have not experienced the issue on my new 5K nor seen it posted (truth be told I don't use live-view very often at all). Since cameras are based on silicon chips like computers it is possible to have an intermittent problem that only shows up when some event occurs (heat, hitting the cycle perfect etc) and may be specific to that camera. I would personally send it back for replacement.
That's why I'm trying to see if other people's camera does it. If I just snapped 5 or ten shots in liveview, I would have never noticed it. Try snapping 50 or so exiting after each one, and see what happens.
The reason I say this is every intermittent problem I have ever had with electronics usually got worse with use. This has improved with use to the point that I can't seem to reproduce anymore. I'm calling Joe Virgil in a few who has been with Pentax for like 30 years. If he says send it back I will, but I'm really curious what his take on it will be.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 12:43 PM   #7

On my Kr excessive live view causes the battery voltage to drop and the battery indicator shows a low battery, after turning off LV and the bat gauge raises to full again , low voltage could cause some camera malfunctions that correct when the voltage rises again after resting and a reset.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2011, 2:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnikesch View Post
On my Kr excessive live view causes the battery voltage to drop and the battery indicator shows a low battery, after turning off LV and the bat gauge raises to full again , low voltage could cause some camera malfunctions that correct when the voltage rises again after resting and a reset.

Hans
Yes, This is true, but it has happened on a fully charged battery. I just called Pentax, and Mark Davis who's been with them a long time said it would be best to get an exchange. So, I packed it up, and shipped it back to B/H on their dime. No sense I guess in taking any chances. Probably be about another 10 days before I get the new one.