Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 5, 2011, 10:23 PM   #1

Default A Pentax Good Deed

I have never gone lens or camera hunting at a garage sale until last week when I noticed in the paper an estate sale coming up that included "cameras." The odds were tremendously against any Pentax stuff, but I decided to take a chance. Arriving early to a big crowd waiting in line to get in, the gates finally opened and I asked where the cameras where. I was directed to a table that contained a couple of very old digitals, in the 2 and 3 megapixel range. Oh well. I wandered around for a bit an then saw a table with some lenses. Lo and behold, a collection of Pentax screw mount and bayonet lenses. Primes, fisheye and several zooms. There was also an old Pentax film camera. An older gentlemen, perhaps in his 70s or more, came by and explained that the 50-300 zoom was only going to be sold as a kit with the film camera. I had brought my Kx to try out anything I might find and I explained to him that I didn't need the camera and would he sell the lens separately. "You mean," he said with his eyes lighting up, "that the old lenses I have for my film camera will work on the new digitals?" "Yes," said I. "Show me," said he. I put on the zoom, fired off a shot and showed him the results. I explained to him that the Kx being a generation behind, but an excellent camera nonetheless, could be had for as little as $475 and used for even less. "And all these lenses will work?" asked he. "That's one of the beauties of Pentax," said I. "All the old lenses work and there is an adapter for the screw mounts." Thinking for just a moment, he smiled and declared that the lenses were not for sale anymore and that he would be getting looking into getting a Kx. So, an old film camera buff enters the 21st century with a nice collection of legacy lenses (he only wanted $20 for the fisheye!) and I walk away with an empty bag, but with a big smile. Sorry for the long post, but I thought the forum would enjoy the story.

Last edited by pboerger; Sep 6, 2011 at 9:06 AM.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2011, 10:46 PM   #2

Good story. My wife hates it, but I can't tell you how many times I have talked my way right out of a good deal. I think you did the right thing, and that is important.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2011, 11:35 PM   #3

What Robert said. A lovely story and you did the right thing. I can just imagine him buying a Kx and getting to enjoy the lenses he knows and loves all over again !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2011, 12:51 AM   #4

A very nice story and a happy ending for the older gentleman.
As another said, you did the right thing and it sounds like the man will be getting a Pentax DSLR body soon and continue his photography hobby.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2011, 4:08 AM   #5

A lot of good karma to you.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 4:00 PM   #6

It's nice to hear such a wonderful story, where someone didn't take advantage of another. I've noticed that Pentaxians (for the most part, there are exceptions!) are like that, they are more than willing to be fair and helpful.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2011, 4:12 PM   #7

I agree. You definitely did the right thing. Thanks for sharing this story.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2011, 4:37 PM   #8

Deep down you were gutted!! lol
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2011, 5:28 PM   #9

Actually, I have all the lenses I'll ever need. But of course I want more!
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2011, 10:42 PM   #10

I'm with you about still wanting a couple of lenses, though I have pretty much all I need. But there's always something...
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote