Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 9, 2011, 9:38 AM   #11

The generic battery I bought for the K7 didn't last very long, after a year it wouldn't charge any more, and it never held a charge as long as the OEM battery. It was also physically a hair smaller than the Pentax battery. I don't have anything to measure the current so have no clue what it was - I was just disappointed. I also didn't think it was all that much cheaper than the genuine Pentax I replaced it with, certainly not worth the short life span it had. Now I don't notice a difference between any of my batteries (all Pentax).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2011, 11:27 AM   #12

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I've wondered if after spending $1000+ on a fine piece of electronic equipment if it is worth skimping a few bucks and using an off brand battery. Given the sensitivity of electronics to voltage and amperage fluctuations, it is not a risk that I take. Therefore, even though it costs more, I stick with the OE brand.

Just my 2 cents worth!

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2011, 12:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
I've wondered if after spending $1000+ on a fine piece of electronic equipment if it is worth skimping a few bucks and using an off brand battery. Given the sensitivity of electronics to voltage and amperage fluctuations, it is not a risk that I take. Therefore, even though it costs more, I stick with the OE brand.

Just my 2 cents worth!

Jehan
I totally agree with you, but this was included with my K5 as part of a small bundle. My guess is using it isn't going to hurt anything, but will probably affect how long it will power the camera.
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2011, 3:00 PM   #14

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony3dd View Post
I totally agree with you, but this was included with my K5 as part of a small bundle. My guess is using it isn't going to hurt anything, but will probably affect how long it will power the camera.
Tony, be careful though. If you have a failure condition and it is traced back to a non-Pentax accessory, you could potentially lose warranty coverage. e.g. the battery leaks and causes a short circuit that fries your K7. As I said, I sleep better at night with the OE accessory, especially for items like a battery. FYI, I use non OE accessories such as Sigma Flashes, etc, but I think they are relatively safe since they are external devices. Good luck
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2011, 3:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
Tony, be careful though. If you have a failure condition and it is traced back to a non-Pentax accessory, you could potentially lose warranty coverage. e.g. the battery leaks and causes a short circuit that fries your K7. As I said, I sleep better at night with the OE accessory, especially for items like a battery. FYI, I use non OE accessories such as Sigma Flashes, etc, but I think they are relatively safe since they are external devices. Good luck
Yes, I would never leave the battery in the camera. I have two other Pentax batteries, so this would just be used for emergencies. B/H Photo closed today 2:00 so my returned K5 probably won't be delivered till Monday. That means I won't see my replacement till probably a week after that. B/H said it takes them 3 days to process the camera. This is what I hate about mail order. Pentax needs brick, and mortor stores!

Last edited by tony3dd; Sep 9, 2011 at 5:51 PM.
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote