Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 8, 2011, 7:16 PM   #11

My guess is a 135 because of the dear, nice lens and great shots, I'll not spoil your quiz but I am interested in the info on the lens. I have a 3rd party "KA" of that FL and am tempted to spend a day with it. How did you like being limited. In most of my 35mm days I had all primes and I felt life was good, now with AF zooms I am spoiled.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2011, 7:47 PM   #12

I'm curious did you shoot these in jpeg and are these straight out of camera or Raw and processed in lightroom?
Old Sep 8, 2011, 9:21 PM   #13

Lovely photos, as always Mole. It looks to me like a short telephoto lens. Your wonderful scenic shots on the balds don't look like they're taken with a wide angle lens, but you have enough scenery in the shots that it also seems unlikely that it's a long telephoto. The berry photos also make it clear that the lens can be opened up for a nice shallow depth of field. So I'm guessing your new lens is something like the FA 50 f/1.4. How close did I come?
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2011, 10:13 AM   #14

Beautiful series Mole.

It just make me be with my camera out there shutting.
Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro Autofocus
http://razzi.me/zuken
Zuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2011, 5:27 PM   #15

Hi mole,

I mostly shoot very long, so I'm not very well versed with the shorter lenses.

My first guess is that this looks pretty close to normal FOV, so 28mm-50mm (the backgrounds aren't very compressed in the long shots).

The lichen/moss and tiny mushroom shots say it's a Macro lens, so that narrows it to 50mm or 35mm.

The specular highlights in the bokeh say it's got either 8 or 9 aperture blades -- it's hard to tell, since they are very nearly round, but the majority of my counts say 9, so (assuming a Pentax Macro prime) my first guess is the DA 35mm Macro (9 aperture blades), second would be any of the 50mm Macros (all have 8 aperture blades) -- no real way for me to tell the difference between variations.

Probably way off, but it's fun trying detective work . Regardless, congrats on the new lens!

Another very nice set, of course!

Scott

Last edited by snostorm; Sep 9, 2011 at 5:30 PM.
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2011, 7:15 PM   #16

Well Scott/Snostorm wins the prize for excellence in lens detective work! It is indeed a Pentax DA 35 macro. One I've wanted for some time - The Sigma 105 macro is great, but sometimes the perspective looks a bit odd for flower shots. This 35 macro, with its more "normal" FOV, should be very useful for my (many) wildflower shots. It has a great reputation, and this particular one, though very used, sure seems to be living up to that reputation!

Hans - I could see how you would guess the longer lens, but those Deer are so tame it was easy to get close, even with the 35mm. I do have a 135 Vivitar (thread mount), but rarely use it. Will have to try a day with it sometime. I have tried before using just one lens for an entire trip to force me to pay closer attention to the character of that lens, and to work on different perspectives and such. Missed some good shots that way, but got some nice ones too...

Lilacfire - Most of these were jpegs, a few of the landscapes were raw images, to allow me to work a bit with the dynamic range. Do not own Lightroom, but did a small amount of PP on most of these - primarily minor cropping for composition, and adjusting levels a bit - using photoshop elements 6.

MtnMan - Glad you enjoyed these! Your guess sure was close... And reminds me that I do have an A 50 1.4, which has not been used much lately. Maybe should spend a day with it...

Zuken - Thanks so much for your kind words. You'll have to come visit East Tennessee someday!

PS - Here are a few more sample photos from that same day, just to show off the nice "normal" FOV of this little lens:
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2011, 12:48 PM   #17

Well, I have to 'fess up that I cheated and looked at the exif data on the first shot. (The devil made me do it.) Even so, they are excellent pictures. The 35mm really seems to work well. I think you mentioned earlier that you shoot a lot with tripod -- did you do these on tripod? Just curious.
tsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2011, 8:04 PM   #18

Thank you for responding mole.. I really like the saturation in the macro shots and although I shoot Nikon I guess I look around everywhere for inspiration. Your shots gave me that but shooting raw my images were a bit dull. I will now aspire to get some good fall colors.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 10:32 PM   #19

Glad you managed to pick up the 35 macro! I also think it's the best "normal" focal length - I find myself always taking another, unplanned step forward when shooting with the 31. I'm still using mine on occasion, just can't quite give it up. It is very handy to have the macro capability with a wider lens - as you say, it does flowers extremely well.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2011, 6:08 PM   #20

Tsquare - Glad you enjoyed these. Yes, I usually carry a tripod on hikes and such. In this series, none of the landscapes were done with tripod, but most of the close-ups.

Lilacfire - Thanks so much - it seems that the default JPG engine in Pentax is nicely saturated, but not too saturated (for my tastes) - looks very close to the original to me. I rarely shoot raw, because would rather spend more time out in the field than in front of the computer. But raw does seem useful for some landscapes and such with a very wide dynamic range...

Harriet - Your 35mm macro photos were one reason I started looking for (and saving for) one. Thanks!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote