Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 18, 2011, 1:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_1 View Post
Marc,

Your photos are so clear and beautiful, as I expected. That video is too cool! Have you ever tried to count the birds? Not sure how you could do that...whew!

Mike
Hello Mike,

I've hit upper 40's and had to stop - that's when they are primarily perched and few are flying. Generally speaking, the truce will only last for 30 seconds at the absolute outside. That's often because another hummer will sweep in and intimidate a perched bird by flying slightly beyond and above the perched bird. Theoretical maximum is 70 birds, since each feeder base has 10 feeding ports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnikesch View Post
Marc, love your humming bird shots, I only have one feeder and been trying to get a good shot for 2 months, no luck yet

Hans
Patience Hans! Observe them if possible for their behavior - they are sometime repetitive, but not always.

Thanks to you both for the very kind words.

Regards,
Marc

“The camera is only a tool: the image is the product of your mind and vision.”
Marc Langille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2011, 1:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Always love your shots, these are no exception. It seems they just get better and better.
My honor to share the beauty of the hummingbirds with you Harriet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Wonderful portraits of these amazing birds - wonderful showcase of their loveliness and of your talents. Thanks for sharing!

PS - your video of the feeders reminds me of what I see at our Jewelweed patches this time of year.
Hi Marty, that's in part why I enjoy it so much - the details we would not otherwise see in a video or with the naked eye. Some of the shots are stunning in terms of detail at 100% crop.

Many thanks to you both for looking and commenting.

Best,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; Sep 19, 2011 at 9:20 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 1:48 PM   #13

The video was awsome! My favorite is the "perched" hummer. The color and details are simply amazing, especially at 600mm (per the exif).
tsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2011, 9:17 PM   #14

For everyone's benefit: I've done a quick focal length summary just to the right of the EXIF link below each image. Also, since #2 seems to be popular, I've added a crop at 50% of the second image. Hopefully that can give you a better idea of the image quality.

Regards,
Marc

Old Sep 19, 2011, 9:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboerger View Post
Think you have been sucessful? Duh! Great shots of a difficult subject. Please share what lens you used.
Hi Pboerger, both Mike and Harriet have the right answer: it's the FA* 250-600/5.6, which I find to be an incredible lens for a zoom. It's sharper than the Sigma 500/4.5 and I believe the image quality (colors) are even better.

Here's a shot of it on my Gitzo 3541XLS + Wimberley WH-200 gimbal head:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhermans View Post
Super shots Marc, but I found it even more incredible that you need that much sugar water, until I saw the video.

ronny
Many thanks Ronny and glad you enjoyed both the video and the images.

Regards,
Marc

Old Sep 19, 2011, 10:57 PM   #16

Marc I am always blown away when I see the quality of the hummingbird shots you produce - these are right up there yet again. Fabulous little birds - #2 is my favourite as well.

Keep them coming we can't get enough of them (in Winter you can just do a reprise or 'best of' collection)

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:27 PM   #17

I want it!!!!! I can't afford a lens like that and suspect I'd hardly ever use it since it's not exactly something I could hand-hold and also because my hubby would kill me when I told him I'd need to replace my Series 2 tripod and head combination. But that doesn't stop me from wanting it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeSS View Post
Marc, you just like to tease us with those shots don't you? Another great series... I'd be happy just to see 1 hummingbird at a feeder around here... Man, that was just crazy.
Thank you Mike and glad to share them with you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I want it!!!!! I can't afford a lens like that and suspect I'd hardly ever use it since it's not exactly something I could hand-hold and also because my hubby would kill me when I told him I'd need to replace my Series 2 tripod and head combination. But that doesn't stop me from wanting it.
I hear you!! Perhaps you can just live vicariously through me? It's much cheaper and the time investment to photograph hummingbirds is basically non-existent - you just check out the hummingbird photos.

BTW, you'll have to add another $1500 to get a top-shelf solid support system. That head is $595 and the tripod is $899. You could get a bit cheaper with some clones, but it will still run you ~$1000+ for a good setup.

I can hand hold for up to 3 shots, but it has to be at least 1/800 sec. shutter speed. I can confirm it looks OK at 1/2000 sec.... I'd rather use the gimbal head and tripod - much better!

Regards,
Marc

Old Sep 20, 2011, 9:11 PM   #19

I can imagine how much I'd have to spend for the tripod set-up (legs, head, QR plate, L-bracket) since mine ended up costing close to $1000, and I compromised on the ball head to bring the cost down a bit. But some day I'd like to have something longer than 300mm, even if I only use it occasionally. Does the capability drive the need? Would I spend more time shooting birds and other items that need a long lens if I had one? A philosophical question without answer at this time.

So keep posting your awesome photos taken with this lens, I love looking at them.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote