Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 15, 2011, 11:12 PM   #11

Wow Mole you got some great shots of the little guys. We put a feeder up and I have been trying to get some shots but so far have failed. Based on your images and that you shot mostly a 300 I still have hope. I've had little traffic at the feeder maybe one per 30min so I have focused on the feeder and not the birds resulting in great shots of the feeder and not so great of the birds.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:12 PM   #12

These are fantastic! I agree, my first, second etc. attempts to photograph this quick, small, flighty bird hasn't come close to these at all. I had some minor success with the A*300, it does quite well but only if they are pretty close. Was it the size/weight that caused you problem with the big lens? Even if you didn't manage much with it for hummers, your close-ups are very good.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2011, 4:59 AM   #13

What a wonderful series on my favourite bird (bar one - the common kingfisher, because I can actually see them in the wild) ! Some beautiful captures in there.

However I must admit that the first shot of the jewelweed had me going when I couldn't see a bird there ..... "where the hell is the little blighter - hiding behind the flower " ?!

I adore that A*300 bokeh - it's as if you have painted it in water-colours, gorgeous !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2011, 2:06 PM   #14

You did an amazing job knowing how fast these little creatures can be. I've never even attempted. I, too, in the first few was looking all over for the hummingbirds.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2011, 8:28 PM   #15

MtnMan - Thanks for the "adjusted" sample. Nice PP. Still not sure which version I prefer, but it gives me ideas for next time...

Pastor - Thanks so much! That one was one of my favorites too.

Hans - You should see how many of these photos went into the trashcan! Was MUCH easier (for me) to snap the perched ones than the ones in flight - see if you can spot where yours are perching as they wait to use your feeder.

Harriet - Glad you enjoyed my first attempts. To anwer your question - the biggest problem with the 135-600 is speed. It has a very long focus throw, not very helpful for a subject that is constantly moving! Also my tripod/head combination is sturdy enough, but slow to move to new positions. And the lens is so long, that I usually use 2 second delay to allow vibrations to settle down. Hummingbirds can move a lot in 2 seconds!

Kevin - So glad you liked these! Our Belted Kingfishers are much harder to photograph. The hummingbirds pretty much ignored me after the first 5 or 10 minutes, but kingfishers stay extremely shy. Someday I may try to set up a blind to photograph them, but never seem to have the time these days...
Sorry to have confused you with the first shot! Actually that was a test of the A*300 with extension tubes! It is indeed a fine lens, despite the scratched front element - see this thread:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...ots-300-a.html

Patty - Thanks so much! They aren't nearly as hard to photograph as I expected, although I did miss a lot of much better shots! Sorry to confuse you with the first few!!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2011, 1:01 PM   #16

Default For a first timer

Hi Marty,

Those are very promising, no question. Definitely better than my first ones (that was on film) - I could only go higher. As already discussed, just a bit of Levels or Exposure adjustment, and you are doing quite nicely!

Cheers,
Marc

“The camera is only a tool: the image is the product of your mind and vision.”
Marc Langille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2011, 4:51 PM   #17

Hey Mole,
These are great! You never fail to impress me with your work.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2011, 8:34 PM   #18

Marc - Thanks for your encouragement - really means a lot coming from a man of your talents!

GW - Glad you liked them! My son & I were back out to visit the hummingbirds this afternoon after church, and they are as busy as ever. Got a few more snapshots of perched ones, and may try once more later this week for some in-flight snapshots, before they all start heading south...
Old Sep 20, 2011, 3:46 AM   #19

after all those magnificent natureshots and showing more fauna than I can find, you also have hummingbirds.

great shots, you keep making me jealous.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 7:15 AM   #20

Ronny - Glad you enjoyed these. I am indeed blessed to live in a very biodiverse region. Hope you can come visit someday!