Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 18, 2011, 11:06 AM   #11

A wonderful series! We don't have many of this type of webs around, most of the time I find drops on otherwise uninteresting webs, usually close to the ground. They are never this beautiful, with such interesting patterns. The only time I find drops on one is either after our occasional rainstorm or at work after the sprinklers have been on. I'd rather wander in the fog and mist to see such things.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2011, 8:31 PM   #12

Kevin - Glad your priorities are in the right place - family before hobby!!

Harriet - Some of those ground-webs can be quite fascinating too, just harder to photograph... I've gotten plenty of bad photos, and a few good ones, of our common funnel-web spiders. They are great for school children - if you "tickle" the web with a blade of grass, they will often come and pounce on it - these spiders have excellent sense of touch, but very poor eyesight.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2011, 9:59 PM   #13

Really? I didn't know that. I'll have to try tickling a web with a blade of grass with our funnel-web spiders and see if it works for ours.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2011, 11:04 PM   #14

Mole, I always enjoy joining you on your rambles through your beautiful countryside. We are also experiencing many foggy mornings, and over the weekend we had our first frost. It's an absolutely lovely time of year up here, made bittersweet because so many people are frantically trying to repair very severe damage to their homes before the really cold weather arrives an another 8-10 weeks.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2011, 8:53 AM   #15

Great series,
just like Kevin that spider had my interest. We don't have any that even comes close.

Cheers

Ronny
Old Sep 22, 2011, 7:18 AM   #16

MtnMan - First frost already! Makes me glad to live in the "sunny south!" Sure do hope and pray all the repairs are completed soon!

Ronny - Micrathena spiders are really common here. We also have a bright yellow one (I think I posted some snapshots of one of them back in the summertime).
mole is offline   Reply With Quote