Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 18, 2011, 8:45 PM   #1

Default Another quick hike at Roan Mt

Had the pleasure of leading a hike at last weekend's Roan Mt Naturalist Rally. Could not take photographs during the hike (wanted to pay full attention to the people), but decided to get up there early for my own hike. Most of these shots were taken either with the DA 16-45, or with a lens I rarely use, but should use more - my good old Pentax A 50 1.4

First a few vertical views - looking in opposite directions from about the same spot - a view of distant Hump Mountain, and a view of a complexity of different ridges (trying to get the amazing lighting - not sure if this one worked or not...)
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 18, 2011, 8:48 PM   #2

The A 50 seems to yield more muted color than the DA 16-45. Not better or worse, just different. Here are some more views of Hump Mt, this time taken with the 16-45. What do you think of the comparison to the previous ones?
Attached Images

Old Sep 18, 2011, 8:52 PM   #3

Roan has some amazing geology. Most of my home park is sedimentary rock - primarily Limestone and such. But Roan is full of complex metamorphic rocks, with some amazing patterns. Here are a few of the rockier views...

PS - first three are all the same rock, just trying different perspectives - which do you prefer?)
Attached Images

Old Sep 18, 2011, 8:53 PM   #4

And here's another rock view, this time taken with the A 50. (is is just my imagination, or can you see the tonal difference?)
Attached Images

Old Sep 18, 2011, 8:56 PM   #5

Mountain Angelica is a favorite of the nectar-eating insects at Roan. But with autumn's approach, it's all gone to seed. It's a good thing for the bees and butterflies that there's still plenty of goldenrod in bloom!
Attached Images

Old Sep 18, 2011, 8:58 PM   #6

Speaking of ripening, it looks like a bumper crop of Mt Ash up on the Roan this year. These will be great food for those birds tough enough to face a Roan Mt winter! (Bears enjoy the fruits too!)

PS - can you tell which one was taken with the A 50?
Attached Images

Old Sep 18, 2011, 9:02 PM   #7

Have been on several more mountain trails since this trip, but have not yet had time to sort through the photos! Will share them here later, as time permits, unless you are getting tired of East Tennessee scenes...

Will be "out on the trail" most of this week, so not able to stop by here much. Thanks in advance for any comments & critique.

(PS - had to include at least one shot with the 35 macro - so here's an Appalachian Gentian - one of the last to bloom in the high country.)
Attached Images

Old Sep 19, 2011, 9:02 AM   #8

Super shots Mole
Old Sep 19, 2011, 9:33 AM   #9

Very nice Mole, as always amazing shots

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2011, 9:51 AM   #10

I enjoy your photos very much. To me, it appears that the 16-45 pics seem just a tad darker. But, my eyes are 68 years old , so what do I know?
tsquare is offline   Reply With Quote