Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 18, 2011, 8:56 PM   #1

Default Sigma 18-250

Just wondering if anyone here is using the Sigma 18-250 with a K5? Why does it have built in Image Stabilization? How does it do in low light? I've narrowed my search between the Sigma, and the Pentax 18-135mm.
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 18, 2011, 9:07 PM   #2

I don't have either lens, but I think Sigma puts in IS because it would cost them too much to remove it (they make it that way for other mounts). Anyway, that's my guess.

What's the size and weight difference between the two lenses? While I was curious about the 18-135 when it first came out, I really prefer primes so haven't paid any attention to either one.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2011, 9:48 PM   #3

I also don't have either lens, so I have no first-hand experience with either one. For whatever it's worth, I've read pretty good reviews of the Sigma, and I've read very good reviews of the Pentax 18-135.

The Sigma has a longer reach, which is a distinct advantage if you want to be carrying as few lenses in your bag as possible. I think i remember reading somewhere that the now discontinued Pentax 18-270 was slightly sharper than the Sigma, but my memory could be faulty on that point. The Pentax 18-270 was a re-badged Tamron, and is commonly available in the used market. (Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm not sure if the Pentax was an 18-250, or 18-270. Does anyone out there have a better memory?)

The Pentax 18-135 is weather sealed, which (for me, anyway) is a big advantage for the Pentax. The Pentax also has a new autofocus system which is said to be just as fast as the SDM system on the DA* lenses, but supposedly will be less prone to failure than the SDM system. Obviously, only time will tell if this new autofocus system performs as fast as, but more reliably than the SDM.

If it were me, I'd buy the weather-sealed Pentax 18-135 over the Sigma 18-250, because for a walking-around lens, I'd rather have weather sealing than longer reach. But my preferences may be very different from yours.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2011, 7:58 AM   #4

Don't have the sigma 18-250, but I've enjoyed the tamron 18-200 a lot. It's great having a lens that has that much range, but it get slow when you zoom out.

Why they put the sr in the lens ... don't know, I think it's cheeper for them they only have to change the mount and not the complete lens.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 8:18 AM   #5

Thanks everyone. I'm wondering if I shod give up some reach for the weather resistance. I may stick with the Pentax only for that reason.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 8:52 AM   #6

I have the older version without stabilization that has been my main walkaround lens for several years going back to the K10D. My needs as a newspaper reporter are that I HAVE to get the shot, so the long lens is a must. The lens has served me very well with no problems. Sharpness is very good for a lens of this type and I have shot very high ISO when the need arises. The only small drawback is that the lens will occasionally hunt a bit, but I have never missed a shot as it always locks on in time. Ask yourself what your needs are. Will you need the reach and do you want to carry and change lenses? I offer two examples of the range below. Saw smoke on the horizon and grabbed my Kx and raced to it in my car. Got the truck fire shot with full zoom from a freeway overpass as the road was blocked by police cars and fire trucks. Made the front page. Second is at 18mm from the Monterey Bay Aquarium at ISO 800. I would gladly get the newer 18-270, but they don't make it for Pentax.
Attached Images

pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2011, 10:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhermans View Post
Don't have the sigma 18-250, but I've enjoyed the tamron 18-200 a lot. It's great having a lens that has that much range, but it get slow when you zoom out.

Why they put the sr in the lens ... don't know, I think it's cheeper for them they only have to change the mount and not the complete lens.
Does the tamron have a plastic mount?
Old Sep 19, 2011, 5:51 PM   #8

Default Narrowed it down to two

Thanks everyone. Think I narrowed it down to two.

Last edited by tony3dd; Sep 19, 2011 at 6:02 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 8:43 PM   #9

Don't know which two you've narrowed it to, Tony, but I love my little Pentax 18-135 WR. I consider it an expanded kit lens, and with the expanded ISO capability of the K-5, I really expect it will become my walkaround lens.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 11:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojansoc View Post
Don't know which two you've narrowed it to, Tony, but I love my little Pentax 18-135 WR. I consider it an expanded kit lens, and with the expanded ISO capability of the K-5, I really expect it will become my walkaround lens.

Paul
Yes, I think the 18-135 is the one for me. I really am to use to the quick shift focus, and the weather resistance is a plus. Besides if I bought the 18-250, I would probably seldom use my 55-300.