Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 22, 2011, 2:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman View Post
Very sorry about the demise of your beloved Kiron, but the photos you've shown that were taken with the Sigma are excellent.
Thanks mtnman
Old Sep 22, 2011, 2:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnikesch View Post
I agree with mtnman, sorry and have fun with the new toy, must be nice to be able to walk or even drive to a store that handles Pentax, I haven't found one within 400 miles of South East Michigan, for me it's online or nothing.
Thanks

It is an internet store but they've got 3 small shops (they look more like storehouses). So it took me till I bought something over the internet from them before I found them. I had passed them for the last 25years and didn't know, or even wanted to go there.
It was ever stranger walking in a store with a wall of pentax stuff behind the counter.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 2:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmom View Post
Ronnie, So sorry to hear of your lenses demise. Ouch! But, glad you are back in business. And, so quickly. I'm like the others. It's online or nothing for me.

Patty
Thanks Patty, I'm lucky, although the rest of the family may disagree.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 7:25 AM   #14

Ronny - I had a very similar lens damage experience a while back - out taking photos on a very cold day, dropped my 16-45. Was able to get it back on the camera, but noticed that the aperture lever was bent, and lens could not stop down. Sent it off to Eric, and it now works like new. Repair was rather inexpensive too! Not sure if you want to try to repair your former macro, but here is his website:

http://pentaxs.com/index.html

PS - Sigma 105 has worked great for me, and looks like its working great for you too!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2011, 7:29 AM   #15

Sorry to hear that Ron. Reminds me of the time my dad dropped his beloved Exacta. Thing is it still worked. Practically gave him a heart attack though.
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2011, 8:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Ronny - I had a very similar lens damage experience a while back - out taking photos on a very cold day, dropped my 16-45. Was able to get it back on the camera, but noticed that the aperture lever was bent, and lens could not stop down. Sent it off to Eric, and it now works like new. Repair was rather inexpensive too! Not sure if you want to try to repair your former macro, but here is his website:

http://pentaxs.com/index.html

PS - Sigma 105 has worked great for me, and looks like its working great for you too!
First I'm gonna try myself (this weekend), I've got another kiron (20-70) lens that has for as far as I can see the same backside. So I hope I can transplant the broken part.

I didn't knew the sigma 105mm was so good. Most of the time I see people bragging about the tamron 90mm macro, and how good it is, I'm glad I went for the Sigma.

Ronny
Old Sep 22, 2011, 8:58 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony3dd View Post
Sorry to hear that Ron. Reminds me of the time my dad dropped his beloved Exacta. Thing is it still worked. Practically gave him a heart attack though.
The heart attack (almost) was with me when it was stuck on the camera.
That kiron is really build like a tank, and I woudn't have the faintest idea on how to remove it.

Ronny
Old Sep 22, 2011, 9:11 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhermans View Post
Yesterday midday .... after lugging my kiron 105mm around for 6 years I dropped it
Ouch!

Quote:
So, back at work I checked the internet for what would be a good macro lens (range 100mm), decided on getting the sigma 105mm.
That was a good choice. The Sigma 105mm is a very sharp lens.

Quote:
Here is my first 1:1 shot of a small bug that is on the ceiling in the hall.
SIGMA 105mm macro lens
I like it. The exposure is a little bright on my uncalibrated monitor.

Quote:
and this is the same bug a few days ago with the KIRON 105mm
What a cooperative insect

Good Luck with the new lens. Don't drop it too often.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:41 AM   #19

Great shots from the Sigma Ronny, really a lovely shot of the dragon, but then all of those lenses (Tamron, Sigma, Pentax) produce fantastic macro.

However I have never inspected the Pentax 100 Macro WR ... and that lack of an aperture ring is unbelievable ! What on earth were they thinking !! It's a macro lens for goodness sake ... of course macro shooters are going to put all sorts of tubes, bellows and extensions on it !!! Amazingly basic error.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2011, 1:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
Great shots from the Sigma Ronny, really a lovely shot of the dragon, but then all of those lenses (Tamron, Sigma, Pentax) produce fantastic macro.

However I have never inspected the Pentax 100 Macro WR ... and that lack of an aperture ring is unbelievable ! What on earth were they thinking !! It's a macro lens for goodness sake ... of course macro shooters are going to put all sorts of tubes, bellows and extensions on it !!! Amazingly basic error.
Yep, completely my idea to, and I hadn't even to notice it.

When the guy behind the counter unpacked it, he started searching for it, and then asked if something had changed because he couldn't find it.