Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 23, 2011, 6:15 PM   #1

Default Things are not going well

Well, I was really liking this camera. I didn't outlast the battery charging last night, so ended up taking my first pics this morning.

First, the camera doesn't work without a card in it. Had only been up about 30 minutes. That was an easy fix. I took three shots this morning. All seemed to be working well.

Came home from work tonight and took one more photo before uploading to the computer. It is very difficult to get the card out of the camera. Takes some wiggling. I'm thinking okay, I can probably get used to this. I tried a few different cards. All the same wiggling required. Okay, so no big deal.

Uploaded the images to the computer. They look fine. I put the card back in the camera take some more thought out shots and the first thing I noticed was the camera didn't ask what focal length lens I was using. (I've got the Vivitar 105 on it.) Since I'd been switching cards, I decided to preview which photos were on this card to see which card I had in the camera. Well, that's when I really got worried. The LCD screen will not show me anything. The top LCD is displaying. But, when you turn the camera off, it's leaving behind markings from where things had been displayed.

I think this camera is going back to B&H. Or, does anyone know anything I could do? I am now realizing I didn't format the card in the camera, but I can't imagine that is what's causing this problem. I have tried to take some images with the camera without the back screen showing anything. But, when I put the card in the computer, it shows no new images. So, it's not taking anything.

I think a call to Pentax is in order.

A very frustrated Patty right now. I've never had to return anything camera-wise except a used Pentax 18-250 I bought off an individual.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2011, 7:05 PM   #2

sounds like an immediate return to me. I had a similar problem with getting the SD card in and out of the K7.

www.EdWoodsonPhotography.com
EddyinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 7:35 PM   #3

I'm very sorry to hear about this Patty. I agree -- sounds like it should go back. I realize this problem is not unique to Pentax, but they really need to step up their quality control. The K5 sounds like a superb camera -- if you get one that works right. But I have heard quite a few stories (mostly on this forum) of people who had to exchange their first unit for another.

This quality control issue is very important to me, since I have thought perhaps I could upgrade economically to a K5 by purchasing a used unit. But having heard all these stories, I think I'll only buy it if I can get the full Pentax warranty, which of course means buying brand new. And that means waiting, since a new unit is not in my budget right now.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 8:34 PM   #4

The SD card is not a biggie - I have large hands and fingers and it's now second nature. I always re-format my SD cards (only in camera) when I put them back in after downloading the photos otherwise there can be issues (I had the same problem with the K7 so reformatting is a good habit I've got into) - not always - but once is enough if it costs you lost shots.

However the other problems make this sound like it should be returned. Such as pity. Hopefully your next one will be perfect.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 8:37 PM   #5

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Sorry to hear about this...it's got to be so dissapointing since you were sooooo looking forward to getting it. I agree with Eddy...return it ASAP. It is frustrating when you spend such a lot of money of a precision device and it ends faulty.

Hope you get a replacement soon...perhaps ask B&H to overnite it to you at no charge!

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 9:28 PM   #6

I'm not sure I understand. Can you see the menu screens on the rear LCD? If not hit the info button, and definitely reformat the card. A card not properly formatted for the camera can cause all kinds of trouble.
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:13 PM   #7

Thanks everyone. Yes, tony3dd, the rear LCD shows nothing at all. And, the top display is leaving behind remnants when it's turned off. I've tried pushing a few different buttons to get the display to come back to no avail. I'm pretty sure the info button was one of them.

Are you sure a not properly formatted card could cause these problems? I can understand it not taking photos because of that, but messing up the camera? And, I'm pretty sure that when I'd first gotten my K100 that the guy at the store that sold me the camera formatted it, but then I was using it back and forth between cameras and not formatting and it worked fine. I would download photos and delete them within Windows Explorer from the card and then put the card back in the camera. Once I realized it should be formatted every time you empty it, I stopped doing that. But, never had any problems.

And, no matter what card I put in the camera, the back display is not working. So, I don't even have the opportunity to format a different card. Plus, every single card I put in it is very hard to get out. It's like it's getting stuck on something. Maybe where the little sliding piece is on the card. Too small a space to really be able to tell.

I certainly hope it's not something I did that it's not working. I can't see how it could be.

Patty

p.s. I haven't tried taking the battery out and putting it back in. Maybe that will reset things. But, even so, I still have the issue with the card not coming out nicely.

Last edited by nhmom; Sep 23, 2011 at 10:19 PM.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:48 PM   #8

Read the manual and find out how to do a full reset. that might solve the problem.

www.EdWoodsonPhotography.com
EddyinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:14 PM   #9

While I agree that doing a full reset can "fix" many problems, and it's easy enough to do that it's always worth trying, I suspect that there's something wrong with the electronics. The card wouldn't have anything to do with the LCD suddenly not working.

The card slot is tight on both the K5 and K7, but if you push the card a bit harder than you do with the K20, it'll pop out a little further (since its spring loaded). It's still a tight fit, even with my small fingers. But the card wouldn't cause the menus not to work. Exchange it right away.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmom View Post
Thanks everyone. Yes, tony3dd, the rear LCD shows nothing at all. And, the top display is leaving behind remnants when it's turned off. I've tried pushing a few different buttons to get the display to come back to no avail. I'm pretty sure the info button was one of them.

Are you sure a not properly formatted card could cause these problems? I can understand it not taking photos because of that, but messing up the camera? And, I'm pretty sure that when I'd first gotten my K100 that the guy at the store that sold me the camera formatted it, but then I was using it back and forth between cameras and not formatting and it worked fine. I would download photos and delete them within Windows Explorer from the card and then put the card back in the camera. Once I realized it should be formatted every time you empty it, I stopped doing that. But, never had any problems.

And, no matter what card I put in the camera, the back display is not working. So, I don't even have the opportunity to format a different card. Plus, every single card I put in it is very hard to get out. It's like it's getting stuck on something. Maybe where the little sliding piece is on the card. Too small a space to really be able to tell.

I certainly hope it's not something I did that it's not working. I can't see how it could be.

Patty

p.s. I haven't tried taking the battery out and putting it back in. Maybe that will reset things. But, even so, I still have the issue with the card not coming out nicely.
Now I understand, and that does sound serious. You may want to take out the battery for a few hours, but it sounds like something went south. Don't wait to long before sending it in. I think you have 30 days, and according to their terms you not suppose to have more than 200 shutter clicks on the camera, although I'm not sure they really enforce that.
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote