Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 27, 2011, 7:51 PM   #1

Default A Few More Hummingbirds

Our park's Jewelweed marsh is getting quieter - the hummingbirds have left us for their long trip south. Before they moved on, they allowed me one more brief time of hummer-watching.

Lessons learned from the last attempt - watch for their favorite perches, move slowly, stay quiet, and avoid direct eye contact...

So, "armed" with the A*300, the SMC 135-600, and an attempt at some patience, I headed out to the marsh for their one last visit of the season...
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2011, 7:53 PM   #2

There were only a handful of these feathered miracles around this time, and they were even shier than last time. But they were still very busy chasing each other, and watching their feeding areas from their chosen perches...
Attached Images

Old Sep 27, 2011, 7:55 PM   #3

Of course, the bigger lens worked better for those close perching shots.
(This young lady kept turning her head around to peak at the annoying photographer...)
Attached Images

Old Sep 27, 2011, 7:58 PM   #4

But even the shorter lens worked OK, if I was careful to go very slowly towards the perch, and only move while the hummer was off feeding. (First taken with A* 300, second with Sigma 70-300 - this one surprised me - much sharper than usual for this lens...)
Attached Images

Old Sep 27, 2011, 8:00 PM   #5

And the A*300 was pretty good for in-flight shots, once I got the hang of it - wait patiently at a favored spot, prefocused and staying low...
Attached Images

Old Sep 27, 2011, 8:02 PM   #6

Autumn is a great season here in East Tennessee, but not for the hummingbirds! Guess I'll have to seek out some other photo subjects...

(PS - hope you enjoyed this little glimpse into the lives of our smallest feathered friends. Thanks for any comments & critique!)
Attached Images

Old Sep 28, 2011, 8:13 PM   #7

Just noticed a mistake in some of these photo comments - actually, all the 300mm ones in this series were taken with the Sigma 70-300. Only one done with the A*300 is the goldenrod bloom in the last set. Sorry for any confusion I might have caused!