Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 28, 2011, 7:11 PM   #11

Hans - You are too fast for me. So sorry that I didn't even notice your comment - was still in the midst of posting... Glad you enjoyed the "fungus art!"

Patty - They sure are fragile things... Hope you get to photo a few while they're still fresh! Was at another state park today, helping with an event, and noticed hundreds of mushrooms under the pines. Almost all were (inadvertently) stepped on by event participants before the day was over!

Ronny - Glad you liked them!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2011, 10:06 PM   #12

Interesting series, really like the purple ones, I've never seen them before. I always like to see the fins, so those are my favorites, the tops of mushrooms are usually not half as interesting to me.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:24 PM   #13

Nice series, Mole!
As for which DOF I prefer, I'm a bit instrumental. I like the one with largest DOF, because it tells me in what kind of surroundings the specific fungus species grow. At the same time there is enough background blur to underline the main subject.

Is it common to pick and eat mushrooms in your different countries? Myself I spend a lot of time in the forests every autumn, and my freezer is now well filled with delicacys lasting the whole year. I pick a range of some 15-20 species, that's more than enough to give me a variety of tastes. In Finland the use of mushrooms is taken to a level where it's close to science.

Name:  IMGP1547web.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  206.3 KB

Side note: please help me with the language. Fungus , fungi, a fungus/fungi species?, mushrooms? Please give me a lesson, I would like to use these words correctly.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 6:17 PM   #14

Harriet - Glad you enjoyed the varied perspectives on the varied fungi! The "fins," (or gills as mycologists call them) are the surfaces that produce the spores. Have you ever tried making a spore print?
http://www.mushroomexpert.com/spore_print.html

Kjell - Thanks for the very helpful and specific feedback on the DOF! A big help!!
To answer your questions - mushroom hunting in East Tennessee is not a prevalent as in much of Europe, at least partly a cultural difference, but also because we have many more species, and many more deadly ones.

Fungus is singular, fungi is plural. All mushrooms are fungi, but not every fungus is a mushroom. To be completely accurate, the mushroom is the fruiting body of a fungus. But not all fungi produce mushrooms. Is that confusing enough? Here's a little article that might be of help:
http://herbarium.usu.edu/fungi/funfacts/mushroom.htm
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2011, 3:48 AM   #15

Thanks a lot for clarifying the vocabulary, Mole. The link was also helpful.
This site does wonders for my English.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote