Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 27, 2011, 9:09 PM   #1

Default A short Baseball series

I toke in consideration some of your very good advice and shot these series.

C/C are welcome!!!!

View this entire album: Baseball 2
Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro Autofocus
http://razzi.me/zuken

Last edited by Zuken; Sep 28, 2011 at 9:59 AM.
Zuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2011, 8:01 AM   #2

Armondo,

I would suggest you'll get better feedback on images if you imbed decent size shots in the post - these are little bigger than thumbnails and you have to click to go to the album to view. On several of them I got a "server not available" error. Even so, having to click over to another site is cumbersome. Your hosting site allows for you to direct link larger images here, take advantage of that.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2011, 9:25 AM   #3

Armando, nice series, only one comment I would shoot the right handed batters from the other dugout as you can get their face.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2011, 9:26 AM   #4

John,

I will, thanks for the suggestion.

Done.

To See the whole series please click this link:

View this entire album: Baseball 2

Last edited by Zuken; Sep 28, 2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 9:38 AM   #5

Hans,

Thanks for the comment. I thought of that, but I was testing some new setting as well, also the game was getting better and better, so I toke this series and put the camera away to watch the game.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:26 PM   #6

Armando,

The best part about these photos is the final framing is nice and tight - so you minimize the distracting background elements. Good job on that front!

There are some technical aspects where you can improve the images. First, the easy things: the images are fairly flat in color - whites are muted and not bright and blacks are dull. You can easily adjust those in post-processing with a levels adjustment.

The next thing you will have to correct going forward as it's too late for these: 1/250 is way too slow a shutter speed. You want a minimum of 1/500. That low shutter speed is contributing, in part, to most of these images being less-than-sharp. The other contribution is likely to be the amount of cropping you are doing. When you crop an image, you magnify imperfections. So when there's blur due to camera shake / motion of subject that blur becomes more pronounced. Cropping also magnifies issues of missed focus. So, especially when you're using consumer grade lenses for sports shooting, it's imperative that you frame tightly to begin with and keep cropping to a minimum.

The last photo is a good example - the subject is not very sharp at all. Part of that is motion blur because the shutter speed is too slow. But, there are parts of the image that are not moving and they're not very sharp. Either you have a good amount of camera shake going on, or the focus was missed and this image is heavily cropped.

Correcting the slow shutter speed is a good first step towards improving the sharpness though.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2011, 2:34 PM   #7

John,

Thanks again for your comments, and advice. I will try to improve on that shutter speed, and the color. more often than not I am afraid to blown part of the pictures over exposing.

I always try to post process as little as I can, except cropping and you also mention that.

I will work on that also.

Thanks ageing
Old Sep 28, 2011, 8:08 PM   #8

Armando - I am definitely no expert on sports photography, but will agree with John that a little work with curves in PP would make these fine photos even better.

On the other hand, you did a great job capturing his very expressive face!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:18 AM   #9

Mole,

Thanks for your comment. I need to push the envelope and you guys are helping me to know my limits, so I can push that direction. Points well taken.

Next Sunday will be the last game of the Fall season, will see and then I will post a picture from each of the 3 series to compare.