Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 28, 2011, 8:51 PM   #11

No tower on the Washington County side of the mountain, but some fine views from White Rock...
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2011, 8:53 PM   #12

Our hikes back down the mountain were safe and uneventful, full of the fine little details of the rich woodlands.

Hope you enjoyed both sides of the mountain, and that you will have a chance to enjoy our East Tennessee mountains for yourself someday soon.

Thanks so much for your comments, critique & suggestions.
Attached Images

Old Sep 30, 2011, 3:08 AM   #13

The Black Gum are spectacular, as are many views of early autumn life.

As to the three lenses, I thought at first that the A 35-105 was sharpest, but I think it is just the DOF. However, I do prefer the dynamic range for the A 35-105 more, too. My 2.

I have a question as to how long the autumn colors might hold in those areas. Will the colors likely be splendid through the very end of October?
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 7:22 PM   #14

Macbook - So glad you enjoyed the varied views of early Autumn here in Northeast Tennessee. Thanks also for the feedback on the lens comparison. I agree that the 35-105 seems to have some very fine color characteristics, that more than make up for its extra weight and manual focus.

We usually expect the peak of autumn colors here in Mid-October. Of course this varies with altitude, with weather, and with tree species. For example, by the time the Red Oaks are at their peak, the Black Gums are already leafless.

Am hoping for some time next week to get out in the high country again to see how the season is progressing, and will post some photos soon after.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 4:04 AM   #15

Mole: a splendid set of photos from you (as usual). Thanks again for showing. Cheers
bb2
beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2011, 8:35 AM   #16

Great series,

for the series I like the 35-105 best. First thought was that it had more dof, but if has a wider fstop than the 35mm.

look like a great manual lens

Ronny
Old Oct 5, 2011, 11:27 PM   #17

What I found interesting is that I don't like the bokeh of the A 50 f1.4. The other two are very nice, the A 35-105 has nice color. The DA 35 has better bokeh at your aperture than it sometimes has, and is a bit brighter. I've often found that the modern DA lenses do tend to meter a little differently and seem brighter than older film lenses. It's not every lens that's like that (don't see it with the DA*300) but it's noticeable with several of them.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2011, 1:00 PM   #18

Beautiful shots, Mole!
Re: compass, Looks like somebody doesn't know there east from the west.
reminds me of when I was in the Army, the drill Sargent was always yelling at some guy going the wrong way... your other left dummy!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2011, 10:59 PM   #19

All of the shots are great, but I really like the ones from White Rock. I keep saying that I am going to make it over there. My niece lives in Johnson City and begs us to visit...I look at your shots from White Rock and think of the vistas my ancestor David Logan must have enjoyed when he entered that area around the time of the American Revolution....

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2011, 2:55 PM   #20

BeachBoy - Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. So glad you enjoyed these!

Ronny - Thanks for the input. The A 35-105 F3.5 is a really fine lens - great color and sharpness, and a good range for forest scenes. It is rather heavy, and I am rather slow with manual focus, but sure has given me some good results.

Harriet - Thanks for the feedback on the lens comparison. Part of the problem with the bokeh on the 50mm was changing light in the background. Interesting how different lenses react to light, and how camera & lens interact...

GW - Drill Sergeant would probably yell the same to me many times...
By the way, the compass rose actually is correct! It was painted on the ceiling of the tower, I am on the floor looking up to take the photo...

Paul - Glad you liked these. Yes, you do need to take the time to come visit Northeast Tennessee sometime soon. White Rock is a pretty easy, though rather steep hike up on the Johnson City side of Buffalo Mt. If your niece finally convinces you to come for a visit, be sure to let me know!