Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 2, 2011, 10:55 PM   #11

I'd forgotten that you had ridden in the Fit, Ira. Just think, next time you are in Vegas you'll be able to travel in much more comfort - leather seats, lots more room, better air conditioner. The owner's manuals (there's more than one since we got the navigation package) are intimidating - about as readable and complicated as the K5's manual. It's going to take me weeks to figure out all of the displays and features that this car has.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2011, 12:12 PM   #12

A buddy has a Honda Fit...very nice, economical car and you can 'fit' just about anything in it because of the clever interior design.

I like the Fit, but I have difficulty getting comfortable in smaller cars. I'm a little over 6'3" and 225 lbs +, wide shoulders and long legs with that particular Canadian malady....hockey knees.

I need to stretch both legs out or pain in the knees.

So in my case, I need my large Buick, while a very nice car, what I would really like to have is an all wheel drive, Subaru Forester. Can't stretch out though in this Swiss Army knife of cars.

Your Prius will be a wonderful car. There are a number of them around here and it's eerie to see them accelerate and not to hear the gas engine running....think they run on pure electric power up to about 30 mph or so....till the gas engine cuts in, although I could be wrong.

I am positive though that the gas mileage is excellent. Lot's of touring around on photo safaris with relatively little fuel cost.

Your K5 will last many a shutter actuation.

I would say you're set to go with...a new Prius and K5.

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2011, 5:55 PM   #13

I'll miss the interior seat design of the Honda, being able to have the floor to ceiling space with the seat bottom up was very convenient. And we once hauled a screen door for a sliding glass door in it, and a 47" TV in it's box was no problem (or a small compact refrigerator). The Prius is bigger, but it's not as versatile. Come to think of it, I need to measure how tall it is, to know just what I can put in it.

Dan isn't as tall as you so he didn't have problems getting comfortable in the Fit. We drove it all over the western US without incident. But he thinks the Prius is more comfortable and kept saying over and over "good choice" as we drove home in it.

A couple of more pictures:

Old Oct 4, 2011, 4:54 PM   #14

OK Being a car guy and working in the Auto industry for 40 some years I understand the R, N, D, but what is "B"?????

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 6:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I'll miss the interior seat design of the Honda, being able to have the floor to ceiling space with the seat bottom up was very convenient. And we once hauled a screen door for a sliding glass door in it, and a 47" TV in it's box was no problem (or a small compact refrigerator). The Prius is bigger, but it's not as versatile. Come to think of it, I need to measure how tall it is, to know just what I can put in it.I know what you mean. Before the Buick we had a Chevy Astro van with rear wheel drive, locking axle and tow package. GM billed it as a mid size van and I really miss it. We could transport 8 people...the cargo capacity was huge and the weight payload was significant. We had it for about 10 years when the kids were young.

With the Astro there was never an instance where there wasn't enough room. The Buick sedan while fairly roomy is comparatively restricted...being a typical sedan. The Astro was a great outdoors/camping/family vehicle and also doubled as a photography truck....swallowed up all my tripods, camera bodies, lenses, etc...without a whimper.

Dan isn't as tall as you so he didn't have problems getting comfortable in the Fit. We drove it all over the western US without incident. But he thinks the Prius is more comfortable and kept saying over and over "good choice" as we drove home in it. Two ways of telling that you chose the right vehicle...thinking of it as a good choice is # 1....second is finding yourself turning back and admiring the vehicle's looks as you walk away from it...or maybe that's just the 'car guy' in me....

A couple of more pictures:

The colour of your Prius is quite striking...beautiful actually. With the ever rising price of fuel....the Prius and other economical vehicles is the way to go.

Les

Last edited by lesmore49; Oct 4, 2011 at 6:07 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 6:24 PM   #16

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnikesch View Post
OK Being a car guy and working in the Auto industry for 40 some years I understand the R, N, D, but what is "B"?????

Hans
Hans, I sent you a PM...

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 10:01 PM   #17

I think I just figured out why they used "B" - I assume it stands for brake-assist. As in, using engine breaking on a steep decline, so you don't overheat your brakes. The car has a CVT and so no way of downshifting to use engine to keep your speed down. It's designed to coast well and I've noticed its easy to pick up speed when going downhill.

We both liked the blue and the white, especially with the tan interior (a nice change from black/charcoal grey). Add the leather heated seats, and it's very nice. I still haven't figured out all the bells and whistles.

What's great is that the Honda got an average of 33-36 mpg, while the Prius got 47.5 on the first tank, and that included an extra "up" since we filled up in Bakersfield. We might be able to fill up every 3 days instead of every 2.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 12:41 AM   #18

Congratulations on the Prius, Harriet. You are absolutely right... sometimes it's just not worth fixing an older car, even if it's still running reasonably well. I let my 2003 Ford Ranger go even though I loved it. When I had run up enough repair/replacement bills to cover a year's worth of car payments, I gave up. I now enjoy a 2010 Subaru Outback Sport.

And, like you, I'm now pretty happy with my photo kit. Sure, there may be an odd lens here or there. But I can't see any major purchases for a number of years.

BTW, did you check out any of the Honda hybrids?
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2011, 9:08 AM   #19

I did some checking on the "B" position and like you say it is for going down long hills, like the brake pedal "B" also recharges the battery using Regenerative braking when the battery is not full then when full uses the engine like down shifting. Sounds like a fun car, enjoy

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2011, 9:50 AM   #20

The one thing I wanted was a hatchback (or at least not a sedan) - well, I sure wouldn't mind a Subaru Outback - so that left the Hondas out, other than the Insight. As I was looking at Edmunds (one of my favorite sites for car research), they mentioned that the Fit turns off the AC when it's at stoplights and the engine is off. Since I spend way too much time in Vegas and SoCal isn't exactly a cool climate, I decided I wouldn't bother looking at it. The Prius is bigger than the Insight (which is based on the Fit) and I think it got better mpg. I had thought of the Ford Escape, we had looked at one around the time we ended up buying the Fit, but the gas savings for the Escape wasn't enough. On bad days we can still drive the Wrangler, it's still in the driveway.