Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 5, 2011, 9:22 PM   #21

Congratulations, Harriet! I love the little Prius. For many years I have had a little 1986 Toyota pickup with manual transmission that I used as a farm truck. Les, I'm the same height as you and weigh too much more. (Tennis tore up my knees.) I got in a situation here where I nearly caused a wreck this summer because I couldn't shift quickly and decided it was time for another hundred dollar pickup. BUT....they don't exist anymore. "Old farm trucks that run and have an auto" are at least 3K.....and....since we sure couldn't see two people with three car payments....and my wife's NOT ABOUT to give up her beloved Malibu....my Saturn VUE had to go. Thus, I am now motoring up and down hills in a new Nissan Frontier 4X4 Crew Cab. Les, it is really nice to have room to stretch out and still get about 18 mpg, about the same as my Saturn got. AND, I was still allowed to get a new K5.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2011, 9:54 PM   #22

Late to this thread but let me add my congratulations on your new "ride". I know you will enjoy the Prius. You guys definitely got a lot of miles out of the Fit, and I know it is sometimes hard to let a good vehicle go. I had a 5-speed Geo Prism (basically same car as Toyota Corolla) I bought used for $1,000 (112K) from a neighbor and I drove it till 307K. Consistently got over 30mpg and never replaced engine, clutch, or transmission. It came to a point where it needed about $2,100 in repair work to pass VA state inspection (safety & emissions). Hated to see that car go.
tsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2011, 10:02 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojansoc View Post
Thus, I am now motoring up and down hills in a new Nissan Frontier 4X4 Crew Cab. Les, it is really nice to have room to stretch out and still get about 18 mpg, about the same as my Saturn got. AND, I was still allowed to get a new K5.

Paul
Good call on the Frontier. I have a 2002 Frontier XE, X-Cab (wish I had gotten the 4-door version), V-6, automatic, 4X4. I currently have about 125K on it and I have gotten about 19.5 mpg over the life of the truck. I have recorded my mileage since day 1 (drives my wife crazy when I do this). I'm 6'5" and about 220 lbs., and I find the truck to be fairly comfortable - considering it is a truck.
tsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2011, 11:37 PM   #24

Interesting about all the Nissan pick-ups. We once had a Nissan Hardbody pick-up (the truck before the Frontier). It was a great truck, we ended up selling it for $1000 when it was 11 years old, with 290,000 miles and a completely dead transmission. Figured I was pushing it asking for that much but had a ton of calls about it. The first person who got up here to see it bought it and I had to field phone calls for over a week.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2011, 12:52 PM   #25

Congrats, Harriet!
That's a nice addition to the family.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2011, 9:16 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojansoc View Post
Congratulations, Harriet! I love the little Prius. For many years I have had a little 1986 Toyota pickup with manual transmission that I used as a farm truck. Les, I'm the same height as you and weigh too much more. (Tennis tore up my knees.) I got in a situation here where I nearly caused a wreck this summer because I couldn't shift quickly and decided it was time for another hundred dollar pickup. BUT....they don't exist anymore. "Old farm trucks that run and have an auto" are at least 3K.....and....since we sure couldn't see two people with three car payments....and my wife's NOT ABOUT to give up her beloved Malibu....my Saturn VUE had to go. Thus, I am now motoring up and down hills in a new Nissan Frontier 4X4 Crew Cab. Les, it is really nice to have room to stretch out and still get about 18 mpg, about the same as my Saturn got. AND, I was still allowed to get a new K5.

Paul
Thanks for the info re: the Nissan Pickup 4WD Paul. I'll have to check those trucks out. I still have about a year and a half warranty on my Buick, but have been thinking about the next vehicle.

I do a lot of country back roading in the Buick during our 5 1/2 month winters up here and as I'm getting older...getting more concerned about getting stuck in the snow...I've thought about looking for a vehicle with AWD or 4WD.

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2011, 12:11 AM   #27

If I didn't have the Wrangler already (which I love and have no intention of selling anytime soon), I'd want a Subaru for snow (by the way, there was a bit of slushy snow on the Prius this morning and the car's outside thermometer said it was 36F). But a pick-up would be nice for other times.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 2:39 PM   #28

Harriet - Congratulations on the new vehicle, and sure hope you enjoy it for many miles/years to come!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2011, 10:52 PM   #29

We've had it for almost a week and it now is over 1,000 miles. Getting 50 mpg average, which is delightful considering the elevation gain on my commute - I've been working on it and think I can do that fairly consistently. It's interesting to drive - fun but not exciting. That's not such a bad thing actually, I'm finding myself calmer when I get home.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 10:17 AM   #30

Love the color, Harriet. It's very pretty. We just bought a Subaru Outback in May to replace our old one. It's getting about 30-35. Much better than my Nissan Maxima. The one thing I'm not crazy about that car. But, it's very comfortable.

Anyway, congratulations on your new family member. Hope you have many fun trips in it.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote